Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Feature: Information about New Threads

Being somewhat new to EuroGA I am trying to follow more threads that could be of interest for me. However I don’t proactively check the site that often and I tend to find a lot of interesting threads with already 3 or more pages of comments – the topic has already evolved and I’ve missed the beginning, I have to read a lot of the posts and it doesn’t feel right to quote something from 3 pages back.

So I was wondering, is there a feature that I can sign up to receive a notification for any new topic the moment it is published? Or if doesn’t exist, is it possible to add it?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Interesting thought Vladimir. So you’d like a feature which notified you of a new thread being posted, rather than for every post on a thread? That’s a good idea. We’ll look at implementing something, though it might take a bit of time. We are already experimenting with using a push notification service (compatible across all devices – both desktop and mobile) so this might be a good thing to try it with, in addition to email.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

David wrote:

So you’d like a feature which notified you of a new thread being posted, rather than for every post on a thread?

I would like to have both options – new threads I want to see and decide if I am interested in following them while existing ones I want to be informed about new posts just as it is at the moment.

One more good feature I find from other forums is the automatic watching of a thread I’ve posted on. In other standard forums (a lot of them seem to be using the same system but I don’t know which) it’s usually a configuration in the profile called something like “Automatically watch any thread you you post on”. Of course the manual workaround of clicking the watch button works fine at the moment but I find it a nice enhancement. Here is what it looks like on m5board.com:

Last Edited by Vladimir at 12 Jun 07:59
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Sure, we wouldn’t take away the option to watch individual threads so you’d still get notifications for all posts on that thread. Basically it would just be adding a “watch” for a whole topic, where you’d get notifications each time a new thread is started in that topic. And perhaps a handy “watch all topics” button so you’d get notifications for a new thread in all topics.

And yes, we can add an option to automatically watch any thread you post on yourself.

Most forums use either vBulletin (commercial, but not expensive) or phpBB. They both have a million features that we don’t offer, but that’s intentional – we aim to be simple, slick and smart instead. Don’t often manage “smart”, but we’re trying!

Administrator

David wrote:

Don’t often manage “smart”, but we’re trying!

I think you are doing a pretty good job actually, so keep it on!

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I know I am biased but I think the EuroGA software is really great

It’s brill for uploading pictures and generally creating a really pleasant and informative resource site. The layout and feature set encourages clean and readable posts.

It is also secure and doesn’t get hacked. Both VB and PHP-BB sites get hacked all the time. I have lost count of the number of times the sites I used to spend time on got infected with some silent infection, which Kaspersky AV would pick up, block the site, and I used to report it to the admins.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It is also secure and doesn’t get hacked. Both VB and PHP-BB sites get hacked all the time.

That is normal, Peter. It’s much more “interesting” to hack a standard system used on thousands of sites than to hack a friendly GA forum.

Adding new features (if the effort is acceptable of course) is a nice thing, especially if people want them. I don’t know if my request would be interesting for others as well but maybe we’ll hear from them.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

It is also secure and doesn’t get hacked.

Don’t say this… it might be tempting!

achimha wrote:

Don’t say this… it might be tempting!

Fill your boots! Though, I’d appreciate it if you (a) let us know in advance and (b) if you do “get in” you notify us before anyone else and (c) don’t do any damage. Cheers.

Administrator

I don’t do such stuff but one should be careful. There are security flaws virtually everywhere and one can be the most diligent developer, the software stacks are very large these days and flaws can hide at any level.

Mainstream software is a more popular target for hacking but that does not mean that non mainstream software has fewer security holes. I used to be proud of my software until I learned it the hard way…

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message