Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA Licence Suspension due to rejected landing over private field in sparsely populated land

This has the potential to set a very dangerous precedent.

PS: This is not Trevor Jacob, some might confuse their names.

ESME, ESMS

Obviously he is trying present himself as a victim. Even after the video – that is obviously only representing his position in the case, there seem to be questions.

In the entire video, he always talks about him doing an “inspection flight”. While he generally (and rightfully) quotes that such an inspection flight could and should be part of a backcountry landing, he not even once mentioned that he actually intended to land.
All what he is saying is, that he wanted to do the inspection flight – and it sounds like the result of that flight would inform a decision if he would try to land in that backyard strip at a different date.

Even without being an expert in US airflaw, it is obviously a significant difference if one actually wants to land but decides after a low pass that the intended spot is not suitable rather then generally flying low over terrain to just check if one could possibly land somewhere.

It would be easy for him to present his case as “I wanted to land in my friends backyard strip but – as cautions pilot as I am – after I made a low pass I decided that this is not feasible that day”. Why didn’t he do that? Did his friend testify that while he generally would approve him landing there, it has not been planned for this particular day?

Germany

What he did is not so relevant. What is relevant is the judge ruling on what he claims he did.

Malibuflyer wrote:

Did his friend testify that while he generally would approve him landing there, it has not been planned for this particular day?

My understanding is that his friend testified that he was given permission to land there.

Last Edited by Dimme at 09 May 10:30
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

What he did is not so relevant. What is relevant is the judge ruling on what he claims he did.

That’s my point! Obviously we don’t know what he said in front of the judge. It is just noteworthy that in the video he did not claim a single time that he actually wanted to land.
If he had used the exact same language in the hearing, it is obvious why he’s been prosecuted.

Germany

There’s got to be more to this than meets the eye. I’m not 100% sure I don’t confuse the guy with someone else (YouTubers are a dime a dozen these days), but IIRC he had his run-ins with the FAA previously. This might just have been the straw that broke the camel’s back and a chance for the FAA to ‘get him’.

That said, at least the way he frames it in the video, it would really set a dangerous precedent for backcountry flying.

And, possibly, training for an engine out scenario away from an airfield.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

172driver wrote:

but IIRC he had his run-ins with the FAA previously

He got hit earlier for “waterskiing”, where you let the tires skim a body of water, in his case just prior to landing on a sandbar. He explains both the technique and his violation here:

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 10 May 12:54
EHRD, Netherlands

@jacko may have a view on that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dutch_flyer wrote:

He got hit earlier

Not only that he got hit earlier – he’s been actually on probation when the events of the first video happened …

Germany

172driver wrote:

and a chance for the FAA to ‘get him’.

There are load of cases like this where NAA gets someone…this guy was fined for not reading NOTAMS frequency and flying on F-FPL with expired IR

The reality is he was running grey charter but they never got enough on him !!

https://rugbyobserver.co.uk/news/pilot-who-landed-at-coventry-airport-without-air-traffic-controls-permission-loses-appeal/

https://www.caa.co.uk/news/pilot-fined-175-000-for-falsifying-licence-and-acting-as-a-pilot-without-an-appropriate-licence/

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 May 14:02
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message