Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European regs on flying an IAP solo in VMC?

In the UK, there appears to be some ambiguity in this.

It's certainly true that if you are VMC, Class D, you have to keep a lookout for other traffic, because ATC is not obliged to separate you from VFR traffic (which could legally be there - with an ATC clearance - because the conditions are VMC). And in Class G there is no separation anyway between anybody at all, except "procedurally" (which means very little) within the ATZ.

Presumably in Class A, ATC is obliged to provide separation between all traffic, not least because straight VFR is not allowed... Class B, I don't remember.

Once I flew an ILS into a UK Class G airport, and was VMC below about 1500ft, and got told off by a resident instructor who said I should have had a safety pilot. I think this is complete rubbish; there is no obligation to cancel IFR just because the conditions are/become VMC and similarly there is no obligation to request a visual approach (which is an "IFR" procedure) if the conditions are/become VMC.

But what are the rules elsewhere in Europe, on single pilot flying say an ILS in VMC conditions?

Assume he has an IR, obviously.

But what if not and the conditions are VMC? That is another ambiguity. In the UK, it is not illegal for a PPL-only holder to ask for and fly an ILS, solo, AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ICAO Annex 2, Part-SERA and the UK RotA all require you to have a safety pilot if you are simulating flight in IMC (i.e. you are "under the hood"). AFIK only the UK RotA require an observer if you practising instrument approaches in VMC. If you're going to ask what "practising" means, there's no definition in law, but I would suggest it requires intent, not merely an operational IAP that happens to be flown in VMC.

But what are the rules elsewhere in Europe, on single pilot flying say an ILS in VMC conditions?

Here (Gemany) wherever VFR traffic is allowed to fly uncontrolled (D, E, F, G) everybody is required to look outside and yield the right-of-way to other traffic if necessary. If you are flying on an IFR flight plan and do an instrument approach (especially in airspace F where this may be outside controlled airspace) in VMC, you must look outside. If you are single pilot, this means you have to divide your attention between your instruments and the outside world. Flying under the hood is clearly not an option in that case.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Agreed, if I choose to fly an ILS approach into a field when I could have declared a visual approach, that is not a practice ILS. That is an actual approach used for an arrival. It is none of some instructor on the ground's business whether you could have declared for a visual approach.

If in VMC though I would certainly keep my head out of the cockpit and would prob be flying the approach on the autopilot.

EGTK Oxford

but I would suggest it requires intent, not merely an operational IAP that happens to be flown in VMC.

Surely that is meaningless because every flight is a "practice" flight if it is a discretionary action by the pilot or operator. The only way to avoid being accused of flying for practice is if one is flying a scheduled passenger or cargo service.

Let me make it absolutely clear that I completely understand that if you are in VMC you are supposed to look out for traffic. That obviously precludes flying an IAP under the hood/foggles/screens etc unless you have a 2nd pilot.

Administrator

Surely that is meaningless because every flight is a "practice" flight if it is a discretionary action by the pilot or operator.

And the UK law on this is delightfully time-limited, so we shall probably never know what it means.

Why don't you spend a bit more time looking for holes and inconsistencies in EU regulation? They're generally much more significant than what is left in UK aviation law. :)

My original Q was

which seems reasonable.

Why don't you spend a bit more time looking for holes and inconsistencies in EU regulation? They're generally much more significant than what is left in UK aviation law. :)

Because I don't even know where to find most of it, it keeps changing, it's hard to work out which bits apply to what type of flight operation, and most of it comes in chunks of 1000 pages. Some of it is so vague that it's hard to know quite what anybody is going to do with it.

Anyway, I thought I did enough dismantling of the obviously anti American bit of EASA FCL

Most people take an interest in things which might affect them and ignore the rest. Life is too short to do much else, especially in the face of the tsunami of crappily worded legislation coming out of the EU.

Also the CAA seems keen to maintain the ANO (cap393.pdf) which presumably will be worded to be aligned with EU law, to the extent that the CAA thinks it needs to align it.

Administrator

Like you pointed out, no doubt you were legal.

On the other hand, the reason for increased VFR separation to clouds in controlled airspace (vs uncontrolled) is because another plane is more likely to pop out of the clouds (e.g. on an approach) in controlled airspace, thus greater separation to clouds is required.

When you fly an ILS in G airspace** this extra safety barrier is taken away from you**.

So IMHO if you are flying an ILS in G airspace and want to continue to do so after you are clear of clouds, having a safety pilot on board as a lookout is not a bad idea. Doing so alone and with your focus inside the cockpit in an airspace where the others rely on seeing and to be seen may not be the best of ideas unless you are able to keep a good lookout at the same time.

Just my opinion. I have very little IR experience so it's worth what you paid for it

I 100% agree that having a lookout is a good idea - which is why, having had a number of airproxes flying Class G IAPs, I blew away £12k on this, to help me with the big majority of times when I am flying either alone or with nobody who is going to be looking out usefully.

But that isn't the same thing as it being (allegedly) illegal to fly an IAP partly or wholly in VMC

May also be worth noting that most IFR aircraft can fly an ILS on autopilot so the pilot is just sitting there monitoring stuff, and keeping a lookout if in VMC.

Especially at non-English airports, Class G or Class D, it really is not a good idea to cancel IFR or fly a "visual approach" because ATC could make a mistake and allow some VFR traffic, speaking in their own language, onto the final approach at the same time as you end up on it. I've had that twice at LFAT.

Administrator

"Assume he has an IR, obviously. But what if not and the conditions are VMC? That is another ambiguity. In the UK, it is not illegal for a PPL-only holder to ask for and fly an ILS, solo, AFAIK."

Neither does it seem to be a problem here (Denmark). Legality aside, if I were ATC I would welcome any arriving traffic, whether VFR or IFR, to arrange itself on the ILS, flying a well defined and easily monitored trajectory. I have twice requested VFR ILS from my motorglider (testing the SP400 handheld ILS receiver), and got it with no questions asked. VFR pilots get it too.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
85 Posts
Sign in to add your message