Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Airports Database

Just checked and all works ok (Samsung Galaxy with Firefox and iPad with Safari)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Can anyone confirm that the database is basically unusable on mobile devices, as reported here.

Nobody else has reported it, and I can’t reproduce it.

It works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone.

However, the layout of search results is suboptimal so that you have to do a lot of scrolling. It would be good if the info could be packed more tightly on the screen.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Lelystad EHLE has changed the fuel arrangements. Fuel can now be paid by Shell card, Visa or Mastercard but not by debit card or cash. Difficult to enter this combination.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

When the spec for this was discussed, the opinions were basically in two camps:

• put in checkboxes for all options
  • put in selections for what the pilot actually did

and it was reckoned that #2 will result in more participation, and more reliable data since a pilot is not likely to spend time establishing all the acceptable payment methods (or types of fuel and their prices, etc) just to get data for our database. It’s a case of “less is more”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Airborne_Again

It works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S10e phone.
However, the layout of search results is suboptimal so that you have to do a lot of scrolling. It would be good if the info could be packed more tightly on the screen.

This is what I get on my S10E, in Chrome

Is that what you see, and you think the lines should be closer?

If they were much closer, “clicking” on them would be a bit more tricky.

IIRC, we just display 10 lines of airports, for everyone, because there is no user-specific context, which was deliberate, to avoid storing any potentially private information. With 10 lines displayed, there is almost no scrolling needed.

The above search was just ED* to find a lot of German airports.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is that what you see,

No, that’s fine. I’m thinking of the info for a particular airfield.

lionel wrote:

I was only reacting to Sebastian_H’s insistence that “debit card” and “maestro” are synonymous, not suggesting that many different types should be listed separately. A single choice “debit card” should be OK, and then one can mostly safely assume “it will take all types of debit cards commonly accepted in this European country”. But listing only Maestro (and not “V Pay” and CB), in my opinion, does not make sense.

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Lelystad EHLE has changed the fuel arrangements. Fuel can now be paid by Shell card, Visa or Mastercard but not by debit card or cash. Difficult to enter this combination.

After reading Peter_Mundy’s comment, I would like to return to the “debit card” question.

I think we agree that with a “debit card”, the bank account is charged directly, in contrast to a “credit card” where you pay a monthly bill.

Debit cards can be cards which requires an online authorisation (e.g. Maestro), but can also be “regular” cards like MasterCard that can, in principle, be used offline.

So saying that payment can be made by “Mastercard” but not “debit card” doesn’t make sense as there are Mastercards which are debit cards.

I’m thinking of the info for a particular airfield.

I’ve just been to the EGKA report and it scrolls from top to bottom in four finger movements. Or in just one if you do a “fast” one. The format I see is this

and sure one could put the Type MTOW etc side by side to some extent, but that would break if somebody enters “Daher/Socata TB20 Trinidad” instead

One solution would be to force people to select from a list of types but that would involve scrolling through a huuuuuuge long list (which would have to be downloaded to the client initially, unless implemented with ajax which then creates other challenges) and somebody would complain their plane is not in the list.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

So saying that payment can be made by “Mastercard” but not “debit card” doesn’t make sense as there are Mastercards which are debit cards.

My bank card/debit card (Maestro) was not acceptable. My Mastercard and Visa were.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

My bank card/debit card (Maestro) was not acceptable. My Mastercard and Visa were.

I don’t doubt that. But was it unacceptable because it was a debit card or because it was a Maestro? Would a Mastercard or Visa debit card have worked? The only thing you can say for sure was that Maestro wasn’t acceptable.

Sign in to add your message