Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emergency landing cockpit view

Video of emergency landing after engine failure. Nobody hurt. Happened in the Mojave Desert. Here: https://twitter.com/SBCOUNTYFIRE/status/1145732228430757888

Glad all ok! Thanks for sharing.
Was the gear up on landing?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Not too sure what airplane that is (looks like PA 32) and as the N-number has been blurred out can’t look it up either, but I would imagine yes. I certainly would leave the gear up in a situation like that. The guy certainly did a great job flying the plane into the crash.

It was a Beechcraft BE 23 Sundowner, N24580.

172driver wrote:

I certainly would leave the gear up in a situation like that.

Why? The gear breaking off would absorb some of the energy.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Which is exactly what appears to have happened, judging from the wheel at some distance from the wreckage.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why? The gear breaking off would absorb some of the energy.

Sure it would, but in a desert situation like this one I’d be more concerned with flipping over. That terrain is pretty rough.

It is great everyone walked away, so let me say it is poor form to shoot a video in portrait

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My biggest fear in a situation like that is flipping over in an aircraft with little rollover protection. Ken Brock (a well known aircraft parts supplier) was killed that way in his T-18. My next greatest concern would be heat and water. Both issues support flying ‘IFR’ (I Follow Roads) across deserts.

Silvaire wrote:

My biggest fear in a situation like that is flipping over in an aircraft with little rollover protection.

Totally agree, hence my comment about leaving the gear up.

Silvaire wrote:

My next greatest concern would be heat and water.

Flying over the deserts here (not to Vegas, where you always are IFR, wether on instruments or not ), I carry an emergency bag with several small bottles of water and energy bars. Why small bottles? My reasoning is that if a big bottle splits in a crash, I have no water, whereas the likelyhood of 10 or 15 small ones all breaking is pretty remote.

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message