Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA ATO for SE-IR to ME-IR Upgrade?

Hello gents,

I have recently passed my EASA SE-IR (as part of a series on Post-Brexit UK to EASA licence conversions, soon to come…) and need to upgrade it now to an ME-IR.

Can anyone recommend an ATO anywhere in EASA-land where I can do the ME-IR upgrade for a holder of a SE-IR and MEP class rating?
This upgrade comprises 5 hours of dual ME-IR instruction, of which up to 3 hours can be in a simulator, and then a skills test.
I need to include the cost of accommodation for, say, 1 week as part of the course course so it’s likely that anything in Northern Europe will be too expensive on this basis alone. Also don’t want weather to be a PITA.

Worth noting that I already hold a UK ME-IR. It’s effectively worthless, I know, but I am looking for a “no-bullshit” ATO which won’t try and sell me the virtues of training in the real aircraft rather than saving money on a sim.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 09 Sep 14:07
EDDW, Germany

Why do you think you need 5 hours, out of interest?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Charlie wrote:

Why do you think you need 5 hours, out of interest?

SEP CB/IR to MEP CB/IR conversion is min 5 hours at ATO.

EGTR

If you have an ICAO ME-IR, I guess you can convert it?

I can’t find the reference to this right now (@airborne_again ?), but it used to be plain simple if you have 100 hrs of MEP experience.

What kind of MEP have you flown? I guess it’s easier if the ATO has the same – so you won’t need difference training etc.

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

it used to be plain simple if you have 100 hrs of MEP experience.

He doesn’t!

EGTR

ErlendV wrote:

I can’t find the reference to this right now (@airborne_again ?), but it used to be plain simple if you have 100 hrs of MEP experience.

I’m not very familiar with the requirements for converting 3rd country licenses, but as far as I can make out, it is only possible to validate a third country IR – and that requires a skill test.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You can try Iroise Aero Formation just 100m walk from Brest (LFRB), if you have MEP & SEIR, it’s 3h in FNPT2 + 2h in DA42 + “free” MEIR skill-test, there is nearby accommodation and flying is rarely cancelled due to weather

If you have MEP and IMCr revalidated in twins, you can “practice yourself” IFR in twins in UK outside Class A before going there while ago I dared asking about the legality of cruising inside Class A Airways in twins with SEIR & IMCr & MEP without having MEIR, which after all would not require any extra training or skills other than what you already know, then I got lectured on what it takes to shoot go-arounds on one engine on ILS at 200ft agl, or handle an OEI at 50ft agl with 800m RVR, I never expected Class A IFR to be that low, especially, since all Alpha CTRs have been decommissioned by SERA

I was bit puzzled where people do this MEIR training in 200ft ceiling & 800m RVR? given that most of that lecturing was coming from people in “bullshit” ATO that live in IFR aerodrome with high minima or was from those who operate in VFR airfields and fly in sunny days? besides the ATO manual turn up to require 5km visibility & 1200ft ceiling for training, the only place I am aware of where you can do such flying would be Brest (LFRB) being CatII runway, foggy weather and “no-bullshit” ATO: simple look at morning TAF and their training manual (MANEX in French) will tell you a bit about the level of training or expertise they have, long story short it’s easy to “get facts from claims”…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Sep 20:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

EASA FCL call for 5hr conversion time.

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 10 Sep 08:38
Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Prob90 EPAG NG in Merville can do this. Let me know if you need their details.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

At its discretion the state of licence issue may approve a reduced training course on the basis of an equivalent rating in a third-country licence, in accordance with art 3(b) in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723. That article requires the applicant to comply with the technical (experience) requirements laid down in Part-FCL. The relevant requirement is that the holder of a Part-FCL single-engine IR, who wishes to apply for a multi-engine IR for the first time, receives “at least 5 hours instruction in instrument flying in multi-engine aeroplanes, of which 3 hours may be in an FFS or FNPT II.” Appendix 6 A.9 or Aa.10. This will have been satisfied during training for a UK Part-FCL IR-SPA-ME. It is therefore conceivable that the EASA state of licence issue would approve a reduced course following an ATO recommendation.

The alternative route in Appendix 6 Aa.8, under which applicants with 50 PIC IFR hours and an ICAO IR can obtain a Part-FCL IR without doing a prescribed number of hours of training at an ATO, is subject to AMC8 to Appendix 6 which specifies that 15 of the PIC IFR hours should have been completed in a multi-engine aeroplane. This AMC condition is applied by Austrocontrol according to item 4(f) in its application form (pdf link).

London, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message