Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Drone disruption video at Gatwick EGKK

This one popped up recently

To me, the most obvious aspect is not that somebody is dumb enough to do this but how easy it would be to shut down all of UK’s airports with just a handful of drones from a High Street shop. Total expenditure a few k and you are unlikely to get caught. If you do it at the major airports concurrently, there will be nowhere to divert to.

They must have a Plan B which is to land the inbounds regardless of the drone presence.

I wonder what the plan is for a load of party baloons drifting in very light wind across Gatwick?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To me, the most obvious aspect is not that somebody is dumb enough to do this but how easy it would be to shut down all of UK’s airports with just a handful of drones from a High Street shop. Total expenditure a few k and you are unlikely to get caught. If you do it at the major airports concurrently, there will be nowhere to divert to.

They must have a Plan B which is to land the inbounds regardless of the drone presence.

Youtube won’t show me the clip. (“Not available” or somesuch).

Stockholm/Arlanda has been shut down four times this month due to drones. In one case two holding aircraft had to declare a fuel emergency and land anyway.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Peter can you elaborate what happened, the video is unfortunately not available.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Is it visible now? If not I will upload a local copy.

Somebody spent a lot of time writing the software to create that visualisation.

Administrator

It’s visible now @Peter, thanks.

After having studies only a bit of the technology behind all avionics technologies and protocols, I am pretty sure that it’s very easy to make planes give such wrong information to pilots (or autopilots), that they will have no idea what to do. GPS is not safe either, as we have seen in the news recently. Security has not been a requirement during the development of these technologies.

So not to give ideas but I have the feeling it’s not any more a question of if but only when some malicious person or group disrupts aviation using any of these methods. And drones are just another means.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Some ways to get drones…

Four curious ones here

Then you have high power RF solutions e.g.

So I wonder why these airports don’t seem to have anything, given that this sort of disruption must cost a few hundred k.

Administrator

If I were in a commercial jet flying a coupled approach (or any FBW craft really) I’d really hope no one shoots a high powered RF blast in my general direction.

(I like how the video refers to the Netherlands as “Land of the Vikings”).

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 21 Aug 21:38

The RF spectrum is crowded enough already. Polluting the spectrum with RF weapons doesn’t help!

Andreas IOM

Shotgun?

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

Shotgun?

A bit of a legal problem, no? You can’t just shoot down things that you don’t like on your own, can you?

Wow, the narrator of in the video really, really needs to take a deep breath and calm down.

I don’t think the first option presented would work so well with DJI’s drones. Depending on configuration, upon loss of RC signal, they will either hover, or initiate Return-To-Home (granted, difficult of GPS is also blocked), or land.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message