Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does Android have a "total backup" option?

Yes, IOS is based on freeBSD or some such, no? I did root one IOS device years ago but it doesn’t get you anything because the directories have mostly obfuscated numeric names – just like Symbian used to. Whereas a rooted Android device is relatively obvious.

You might ask why bother rooting. One example might be a camera app which stores jpegs and raws in different places, and isn’t configurable, but actually you want both of these in one place on an external SD card (another thing IOS devices don’t have).

I think it was Jobs who made the phrase popular.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As this is the Android backup question thread:

I need to transfer contacts from a Samsung Android 2.3 phone to a new Xiomi Redmi S3. So both Android but not Samsung, therefore no Kies Transfer.

Any ideas are very welcome indeed.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Backup to google drive and restore from it, maybe? How exactly to do that varies between OS versions.

Is the Phone Switch feature available on the Xiomi? That works quite well for the banal everyday stuff e.g. Contacts, Messages, etc and it transfers apps but IME AFAIK the actual apps are re-downloaded from the appstore, on the destination phone.

May also be able to transfer Contacts over bluetooth.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message