Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does Android have a "total backup" option?

There are many ways of archiving e-mails in a legally compliant manner that don’t involve using POP and keeping copies of all your mail in a rickety old bit of software

Would you be able to supply some detail, Steve?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The deletion is optional. Normally one configures to not delete on all mobile clients, and delete on one machine on which there is a defined archiving procedure (in my case, daily backup, weekly backup, monthly backup, all to different destinations – IAW standard business practice). There is also a basic security issue: an IMAP server has zero security (all your emails, all the way back, are up for grabs) if anybody gets their hands on any client device configured to access it. Whereas with POP, they will get only the messages which are still on there (usually a day’s worth).

You can do this with IMAP as well as POP! (I know, because I do.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Indeed, but if you clean-up the IMAP server database (to stop somebody hacking the server and retrieving your “whole life history”) and keep those messages locally, you lose the major feature of IMAP which is the ability to access your “whole life history” from any client device. Together with my desire to continue to run my (excellent) old email software, that is why I am not too bothered about IMAP.

I run other email clients on other platforms e.g. Thunderbird, K-9, MailDroid, and a few others, and while they all do much more than mine, their usability is nothing like as good. The worst IMHO is Outlook, but it pretty well owns the corporate market – though arguably this happened over the years due to the desire for compatibility with weird Outlook-only things like winmail.dat In the corporate world if you don’t run Outlook you just get constant hassle. Same with not running MS Office.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use Apple Mail both for private and business use and i never have any problems.
Outlook? I had it on PCs before i completely switched to Mac. I hated it. In the beginning i also had it on the Mac, and uninstalled it soon.
Many of the backup solutions let you search your archived mails.

Well, you’re not the only one favouring pop ;)

I use pop mail for all me email. I’ve all my emails going back to 1999.

I use multiple email accounts, with the first one forwarding it to the other accounts, so that I’ve a permanent storage on more than one pc.

Tried IMAP. Didn’t like it. I much prefer having access to emails (particlarly old mails) locally. I also quickly ran out of storage space on imap accounts.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Would you be able to supply some detail, Steve?

We use Exclaimer Mail Archiver on our Exchange server, but there are many others.

Yes, we use Exchange/Outlook… which may come as a shock to people who know me as Mr Anti Microsoft… but there’s little choice if you want to properly interoperate with other corporates.

Last Edited by stevelup at 24 Jul 12:17

dublinpilot wrote:

Tried IMAP. Didn’t like it. I much prefer having access to emails (particlarly old mails) locally.

You can do that with IMAP, too. It’s a question about configuring the mail client.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Quoteeal:
you can of course sync all non itunes PDF’s to your computer via iTunes and restore them to your new iPhone/iPad.

That only appears to work if you have been synching between ITunes and the Ipad automatically from the beginning. I do not, as I did not want duplicates of everything on my PC, when I expected the backup option to be archiving it all safely for me…

I cannot find a way to sych back from my Ipad2 into Itunes without first having the material in Itunes, or it claims it will delete everything on the Ipad at first re-synch.
I have in any case managed to find alternative sources for the material I lost, but it took time to correlate, which seems unnecessary if the back up was half decent in the first place! I do not want Apple to decide for me what, I can or cannot include in the backup.

As for the email side of things, what difference does it make what protocol is used? Local copies of the data reside in the iPad, and I want it backed up. Does not seem a lot to ask. I can decide later if I want to delete them or not to avoid duplication. Another crappy assumption by Apple.

Last Edited by eal at 25 Jul 10:03
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

You can select what you want to backup in iTunes. For Apps like GoodReader and many others you can select what files you want to backup or sync.

I wonder why you cannot backup eMails … ?

I have not found any options to modify the backup in ITunes other than the choice of encrypting the back up data or not.

It is an ITunes “Assumption” that a Pop3 account has all the original emails stored elsewhere on a server, and therefore you can re-populate the Ipad from that source.
It is a flawed assumption. In real life most people will have one secure location for the Pop3 emails, eg Outlook running on a PC, and to preserve storage space on the server, they will delete the originals from the server once downloaded into the secure location.

Once that happens, there appears to be no way to repopulate the Ipad. Stupid really, and a real nightmare for those only relying on an Ipad for their email records. At least give the user the option on this behavior, and warn them beforehand until you do.

When you replace an Ipad, with this limitation and the Ibooks policy, you will not be able to reproduce the original Ipad data in its entirety from the IOS backup, and given that that is the only option available to use for most people, it is a very poor situation in this day and age. After backing up, I want to be put back whole when I restore. Seems a reasonable expectation to me.

E

Last Edited by eal at 26 Jul 09:45
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD
Sign in to add your message