Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do the military in the UK work on bank holidays when there isn't a war on?

I’m planning a flight tomorrow (August Bank Holiday), through a MATZ, and later ideally requiring a radio service from Brize Radar, and later again through a different AIAA… Will the British military be working / flying? Do they work on Bank Holidays or do they treat them like weekends and have the day off?

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

It depends! You are talking about a mix of LARS and Approach services it would seem – LARS depends on unit hours, those that are Mon – Fri (see AIP for published hours) will not be available Bank Holiday. Some units like Brize are open and flying 24/7 for the zone transits but LARS hours are limited, others like Benson will be open for cadet Tutor / air ambulance / police rotary flying but only Tower will be manned. Many units will put out a broadcast on the frequency if closed with alternate contact details or crossing information.

Now retired from forums best wishes

See NOTAMS for danger/restricted areas. Military Airfield traffic zones are, from memory, always active. Not the big MATZ – the airfield zone. There can be foreign military aircraft using areas when UK force is on holiday. Ask civil ATC if MATZ is active, but avoid the airfield circle. If nobody talking, I wouldn’t worry about the AIAA.
Based on Lossiemouth area experience.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

You won’t get LARS on a Public Holiday from a military unit. If you are crossing a MATZ you obv don’t need a zone transit. Not like it will be active anyway on a holiday.

But beware of an ATZ in the MATZ.

Last Edited by JasonC at 28 Aug 19:36
EGTK Oxford

Thanks chaps. The current plan is to get to Dunkeswell tomorrow.

Hi Howard
I fly from Dunkeswell and im sure you will enjoy the trip , from my experience Yeovilton (who provide the lars in that area ) will be closed but avoid flying to close to them as there is usually gliding activity when the airfield is closed .Likewise i think Boscombe lars will be closed .
I would nomally stay a little to north and talk to Bristol who will usually hold on to you until you change to Dunkeswell
Andrew

Dunkeswell

Thanks Andrew…. I just read your post and you described exactly the experience that I had on the radio. Bristol were very good.

We’re lucky in Croatia – airforce doesn’t fly on weekends or bank holidays except for display and on weekdays they fly only if the weather is super nice

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message