Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Do I need an instructor?" Flow chart

If I may, although I’m not a native English speaker, it seem to me you translated “Ich möchte” by “I like”. I’d say “I’d like [to obtain]” or “i want [to obtain]”.

ELLX

Thanks, that one slipped through.

This is now corrected, and I added differences training for the SET class in the notes, which I totally forgot, and fixed the cross-crediting of SEP land/sea and TMG.
Upon request I also included information about the possibility of training for an IR partially outside of the ATO environment.

New versions attached to this post.

Brauche_ich_einen_Lehrberechtigten_pdf
Do_I_need_an_instructor_pdf

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 06 Dec 17:34
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Again great work, thank you.

For renewal of TMG/SEP rating no A/DTO or Instructor required, right? A FE or CRE is sufficient.

always learning
LO__, Austria

For revalidation (i.e. still within the two years validity period) by proficiency check, no, it can be done by any freelance examiner.

If the rating has lapsed and you need a renewal, an ATO or DTO is needed to determine whether the person is sufficiently current and able to undertake the proficiency check. This may or may not involve training flights prior to this. That’s up to the ATO/DTOs discretion.
If the class rating concerned is is either SEP(land/sea) or TMG and hasn’t lapsed for more than three years, any freelance instructor may provide this training.

Note that holding another valid ICAO-conforming license (ie. a standalone FAA PPL with single engine land) will exempt you from the training requirement.

Reference for all of this answer is COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2019/1747 of 15 October 2019, which hasn’t yet found it’s way into a new version of the Easy Access Rules.

Please also note that the German version unfortunately has a few important translation errors concerning language testing and LAPL(A) currency.

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 07 Dec 12:48
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Maybe incorporate it into the chart?

always learning
LO__, Austria

CR, superb chart!
One minor thing should be corrected, however: To revalidate a Class Rating with a proficiency check, instead of using a CRE, you can also use an FE.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

You don’t need an ATO nor a DTO to renew a single engine class rating if it has not been lapsed for more than 3 years.
FCL.740 Validity and renewal of class and type ratings
(…)
(b) Renewal. If a class or type rating has expired, the applicant shall take the following steps:
(1) pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Annex;
(…)
(2) prior to the proficiency check referred to in point (1), take refresher training at an ATO, where necessary to reach the level of proficiency to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft. However, the applicant may take the training:
(i) at a DTO or at an ATO, where the expired rating was a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating, a TMG class rating or a single-engine type rating for helicopters referred to in point DTO.GEN.110(a)(2)(c) of Annex VIII (Part-DTO);
(ii) at a DTO, at an ATO or with an instructor, where the rating expired for no more than three years and the rating was a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating or a TMG class rating

Last Edited by C510_CJ1_orTBM850 at 08 Dec 20:45

CharlieRomeo wrote:

If the class rating concerned is is either SEP(land/sea) or TMG and hasn’t lapsed for more than three years, any freelance instructor may provide this training.

C510_CJ1_orTBM850? wrote:

You don’t need an ATO nor a DTO to renew a single engine class rating if it has not been lapsed for more than 3 years.

Three times is the charm :)

Snoopy wrote:

For renewal of TMG/SEP rating no A/DTO or Instructor required
always learning
LO__, Austria
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message