Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

In some cases FIKI requires certain mods (heated stall warner) that is not there

I had TKS system with everything (heated tail, heated wings, heated stall buzzer, heated windshield, heated propeller, 30L reservoirs with 2.5h endurance normal mode, wing lamps) it’s not FIKI as it need 2nd aircraft battery in tailcone with 28V system install

Remember FIKI certification is mostly about superior redundancy not as much about system effectiveness, you will need dual pumps, dual batteries…the actual “FIKI specs” are very light, if you look at Appendix C of FAR25/23, FIKI system need to deal with 40microns water droplets in about 20nm of stratus flying to pass FIKI certification

I can guarantee that any TKS system I am aware of, even those from retrofit, would be rock solid in that, actually, with 40microns rime ice you can fly on draggy wings with the system being OFF for more than half an hour untill you start noticing that you are picking something

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Aug 23:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

For US FIKI (remember FIKI is a purely US certification, mapping legally onto US weather data – FIKI in Europe) they want a heated pitot, heated stall warner, two alternators (I don’t think they need two batteries), two pumps…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

they want a heated pitot

EASA requires a heated pitot (or something else that prevents blockage or condensation) for all IFR – and even for VFR if you fly in conditions where you need instruments, e.g. when there is no discernible horizon or by night over totally dark areas.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes of course; a non heated pitot is really completely useless for any sort of flying other than on sunny Sundays

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi,
for those interested in the DA50… I had the opportunity to do a test flight last sunday at LECU (Madrid Cuatro Vientos)… I hope you enjoy the video.

LEMT, Spain

49 gallons usable…still a crazy restriction on this plane that is burning 12 GPH in moderate cruise. No long range option available AFAIK.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes… the range figures they publish are extremelly optimistic… to say something. (but they also claim to burn much less than those 12 GPH… a Cirrus SR22 Lean of peak will burn almost that at a nice altitude and 65% power) DA50 should be less than 10… but probably it is not.
Also, the weight difference is big. DA50 is very heavy! (and big)

LEMT, Spain

Nose heavy, constant trimming, short range, not impressive ROC, not impressive speed, impressive price… I’m wondering who’s the customer for this plane.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I wanted to test some routes so I created an aircraft profile for SD, in case anyone is interested pm me.
I will send it to SD shortly, so it should turn up in the database eventually anyway.

ESMK, Sweden

Asking 1.64 million for this thing…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one