Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

David Clark DC PRO-X

David-Clark finally going for comfort

US AOPA article

Traditionally, the D-C headsets which were any good at reducing noise would clamp your head like a vice... I tested the whole range some years ago, at a headset shop, with a simulated aircraft noise source.

I guess that the money going to the Bose A20 (which is a big improvement on the X which was already the best there was) made D-C finally sit up and decide to do something about it.

D-C were popular because you could sit on them, stand on them, dip them in Guiness, puke all over them, hang yourself on the cable, stand on the plug, i.e. do the things that are standard in the school/club environment, and they would keep working. Whereas a Bose would break easily, with the Lemo plugs on the aircraft powered version breaking right off at the slightest accidental knock (€150).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just wish manufacturers would make the width more adjustable as women generally have narrower heads than most men.

Current DC's are a tad too wide for me. When I did a quick look right (or left) the headset swizzles and the opposite ear cup ends half way to my nose!

Pilot, Bose, Lightspeed and Sennheisser fit. Though did add some DC gels on top of the foam ear cups on current DNC's.

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Speaking of (dis)comfort, DC headsets used to cause me a headache after 2-3 hours of flying. At first I thought it was all because of the clamping force, but later I traced it to a combination of that force with the temples of my sunglasses. When I switched to the sunglasses with cable temples, the headache disappeared. I am still flying with an old DC and an HM40, though my next one will probably be Flightcom Denali, which I found the most comfortable of everything I tried (including Bose and Sennheiser).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Assuming I want to stay with DC thought these might solve my problem. I'm a 'one brand man' and already have 4 x DC's!! (2 x regular & 2 x ANR)

See "Maintenance & Avionics" - "Adding an Aux Audio 'in' to a pair of DC H10-13x"

However, at first glance I see no 3.5mm jack socket - blue-tooth 'yes', but can't see reference to a 'hardwire' input.

From checks with others ALL these new generation light weight top-end headsets with ANR don't seem to have anywhere near the 'passive' performance of my existing ANR (ENC) DC's.

I don't think ANR should be a replacement for 'good passive' - in older SEP's that noise will get through given half a chance.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

I am still flying with an old DC and an HM40, though my next one will probably be Flightcom Denali, which I found the most comfortable of everything I tried (including Bose and Sennheiser).

Ultranomad Try the Clarity Aloft set, 30g (or so) weight, ANR quality.

Ben

Did anyone here use the new DC Pro-X headset in a GA aircraft?
Your comments would be apprecited, thank you.

YSCB

The Pro X is not suitable for piston engine aircraft. In that situation you really need a cup that surrounds the ear ( or according to some, a deadset that sticks in your ear). A Lightspeed Zulu, Bose A20 or Sennheiser S1 is much more suited to piston engines

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I wonder if this is any good

They might have them at Friedrichshafen.

It’s supposedly a bit cheaper than the A20.

I have to say that the A20 does have one drawback compared to the Bose X: its bigger earcups make one’s ears sweat more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A friend has a set and he considers them quite good but he quietly admits to preferring the seating of my Zulu.2 – however the price difference was more than he wanted to pay (about €200). Bearing in mind how much time you’ll be spending with them on your head, best to check in advance whether they fit you comfortably – I nearly bought a Sennheiser S1 until I tried them on only to find they “perched” on my head. The Lightspeed Zulu fitted perfectly, are light and comfortable (have flown to South East Europe during the summer of 2012 – 40 degrees and didn’t experience any sweating) and sound quality is perfect, the bluetooth streaming of music is ideal for long trips when alone. However people’s heads tend to vary so for me, the comfort, the sit of the headset is paramount….

EDL*, Germany

Not for use in piston engined aircraft IMHO

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message