Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing the North Atlantic in 2019 - Preparations

Good afternoon,

We are getting ready for our 2018 trip to OSH. We will be departing from LFAT on July 22nd and come back a week later.

This typically involves mostly TBMs but anyone is free to join the party. We had a Seneca with us last year and for now only TBMs this year coming from Singapore, the UK, Germany, France, Belgium and Slovakia.

We will meet other TBM owners at Oshkosh who are returning from their around the world trip and will fly back all together.

We do this trip every year so you are more than welcome to tag along in 2019 and in the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,

David

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Out of curiosity, what HF frequencies and modes (e.g. AM, SSB (USB, LSB)) are used for aeronautical HF over the Atlantic? How much TX power are airborne HF stations typically putting out?

Last Edited by alioth at 10 Jul 09:45
Andreas IOM

In general,USB for 8Mhz and higher or LSB for 7Mhz and lower.Usual Tx power should be around 100Watts.

LGGG

I found a list of frequencies, and they are all very far apart (e.g. 30126, 5598, 8906, 13306, 17946 kHz for North Atlantic route A) – I’m guessing they look at the propagation conditions and pick a frequency that works best on the day.

Andreas IOM

Re ferry tank, I was talking to a German Bonanza pilot planning the cross the north Atlantic about 10 years ago, and he decided to install tip tanks. (On paper at least) the increase in weight and parasite drag is equalled by the reduction in induced drag. I’ve not seen him since unfortunately, so can’t say any more.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message