Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney N201RF into an electricity pylon, in the US

This looks amazingly lucky

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Must have been a nightmare to sit in the plane and wait for the rescue not knowing if the plane will stay in place or fall down.

EDQH, Germany

Daily Dirt Digger article

ASN

I should get him to do my lottery numbers

Administrator

Terrifying and miracle at same time !

I wonder if they had 3D LPV? or autopilot? METAR was 1+1/4SM and 200ft overcast, going 2D LNAV would have been too brave and optimistic by all measures: the plates have few caveats on “V” & “VDP”: it’s not the right place to try flying non-precision at night

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Nov 22:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Another example of the brutal forces those steel cage cabins can take.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Don‘t know for sure but the flight track on Flightradar24 does not look like an IFR flight. Maybe they picked it up for the approach.
An then they went off centerline to the left aprox 1.8 NM from threshold (if Flightradar is correct). Again, Flightradar does not show a stable approach at any time from FAP until the final phase.

Switzerland

He was IFR but had considerable problems.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Worse than I thought… so lucky they are alive

Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Another example of the brutal forces those steel cage cabins can take.

This did spring to mind. The fact that the tail is concertinaed aft of the cabin section shows how tough it must be.

United Kingdom

The deformation would depend very much on how much “flexibility” there was in the object collided with, and how much there is in the airframe.

If there was none, as in e.g. hitting solid concrete, then at say 100kt the G forces would have been huge, the cockpit would have been destroyed, but even if the cockpit was strong enough to not get deformed, the occupants would have died from internal injuries. One can calculate the G for say 100kt to zero in say 30cm (a reasonable deformation for the engine compartment given the engine is a solid lump) – I will leave it as an assignment to the class The documented survival record stands at 46g but he had proper straps.

I think these guys benefitted from a lot of flexibility in the pylon, and a lot of deformation ahead of the cockpit.

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message