Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do big planes flown by professionals go off runways?

Today at Montpellier. They must have pushed him off the parking area because he forgot his PPR

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

It was a cargo landing after midnight at 3am, surely they forgot their hi-viz !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That must have been one thirsty 737.

always learning
LO__, Austria

West Atlantic ditched to Mediterranean

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/283675

The airport is still closed according to NOTAM until midnight (UTC) today.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Recovery is going on !

On OP, it seems that landing during heavy rain or takeoff after storms does result in disasters, the landing & takeoff performance calculations needs to be “refreshed” with changes in surface state? or changes in winds? or unstable approach due to windsheer?

Maybe unrelated to the accident and on lower scales but I had two surprises with landing/takeoff before/after heavy rains, while ago I tried landing as heavy rain hits, I was surprised that +20kts wind I got on approach was actually -10kts during my flare, I still landed rather than going around but the landing was a very long one, another time I divert to grass strip, to land before a storm, I waited for rainfall, then I could not taxi on grass again, let alone takeoff !

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Sep 09:10

Sure but this is not exactly a new thing. Big jets have been flying since the 1960s.

And – the famous overloaded Tupolev video, and Russian practices, excepted – most runways are way longer than is actually needed. Especially for a landing; takeoff is a bit different because it is not usually done at max power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The other thing this is cargo not passengers, I am not sure how much margins they have versus passengers flights? there are many ways to look at historical records of cargo flights vs passengers flights, cargo has about 10-to-1 flights versus passengers airliners but has about 5-to-1 more incidents, the majority are like this one

Surely some of it can be explained with weight and performance physics, the other part by crew fatigue and missions: long and late operating hours at night

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Sep 09:38

Maybe @A_and_C or @snoopy might have a view?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I was surprised that +20kts wind I got on approach was actually -10kts during my flare

The other day on Brac LDSB I had -3 during the approach which turned to -8 during the short final and flare and I was pretty surprised with prolonged ground roll – I expected much less but I forgot that runway also goes downhill. However, having 1760m runway, such situation ends with short backtrack instead of exiting runways immediately. I would expect more serious approach to calculations and situation assessment from professional crew.

BTW The airport is still closed.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message