Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mid Air Collision

North Las Vegas is not the main Las Vegas shown in the pic above. My memory is of 2 runways in almost a V, but not joined. Not parallel. ATC then was impressive, and so was traffic density.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Here’s the runway diagram.

Live ATC has KVGT Tower. If you have ForeFlight you can watch internet traffic on the sectional while listening to Live ATC, simultaneously on your phone. I do this for some time to familiarize myself with a new airport before flying there.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 24 Jul 21:41

If the radio operator understands and reads back everything perfectly, but somehow the flying pilot gets it wrong, there is little chance to catch such errors

How is that any different from the pilot alone and himself reading back correctly but „getting it wrong“?

In professional multi crew operations, there are checks and balances in place which don’t exist in the case of an informal task sharing setup.

„Dude, you’re lining up for the wrong runway“.
Again, what would two pro guys/gals do differently to two PPLs? Curious!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 24 Jul 20:56
always learning
LO__, Austria

How is that any different from the pilot alone and himself reading back correctly but „getting it wrong“?

It is less likely to read back “30 left” three times and still landing on “30 right” than when you’re never saying it out loud and are only passively listening to two other people’s communications. That requires active listening, which is the first thing that goes out the window when you’re starting to get overloaded.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 24 Jul 22:22

Snoopy wrote:

what would two pro guys/gals do differently to two PPLs?

I’d like to know / understand that too. I wonder why the PNF was (apparently) doing the radio? My experience of flying with an elderly friend, who could fly the plane better than I ever will, was that he could “lose the plot” on the radio. I’m not suggesting for a moment that happened here, but there has to be a valid question about why they shared the duties (if they did). Personally, the last thing I need is someone else doing the radio, but then perhaps that’s just because I’m a control freak.

Last Edited by Aveling at 25 Jul 13:54
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

It’s also odd to me that the tower said nothing. I’ve only ever lined up on the wrong runway once – at a very quiet time at a normally busy airport. Tower were onto it immediately, though all they said was “clear to land left or right, your choice”.

LFMD, France
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message