Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

C182 D-EGLF crashed in Croatia

Overview. Slunj is close to the Plitvice national park.

The distance to Split airport is roughly 100 NM, so I would think they were airborne for close to 1 hour.

As the reports said “north of Rakovica” and Slunj, I guess they came to grief on the hill south of Slunj, as Rakovica is just south of that.

Google Maps view… the hills are quite visible on it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Does any tracking data show the altitude he reached, before going down?

We won’t know his flight plan (ATC will not talk) but normally he ought to have been at least FL100 at this point.

This is his 2nd 26th May flight (he did on earlier that day) and a part is at FL120 which could indicate he didn’t carry oxygen, but on that route he would not legally need to

The 29th May flight has been removed from FR24 and from Flightaware. Somebody is on the job there, pretty fast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In FlightAware the flight doesn’t show up at all (the southbound one does, however). FR24 has the flight, but I don’t have a sub to open the data. ADSB Exchange has nothing.

My feeling is they were trying to scud run….

Peter wrote:

The 29th May flight has been removed from FR24 and from Flightaware.

It still shows up on FR24, but apparently you need a sub to see it.

I do have a sub but it shows nothing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I do have a sub but it shows nothing

It comes up as ‘scheduled’ with a 9:13 departure time. Probably no further data.

If this was a VFR flight, then the outcome was not unexpected.

For an IFR flight, my strategy for doing the (typical) LDLO/LDSB to EGKA leg is to climb above the IMC before reaching the Alps. So I tend to fly the route via SRN which gives me this opportunity, flying above Italy’s flat lands until high enough to see the IMC tops above the Alps, all the way across:

Once, 2014, I departed on a more northerly heading (roughly towards Munich) and was doing the climb in IMC, and got this lesson which one doesn’t forget in a hurry.

Administrator

but normally he ought to have been at least FL100 at this point.

Yes given he was heading toward high terrain, he should have been above cloud tops and terrain peaks earlier? do Croatian ATC or Airspace have any climb altitude restriction for VFR? can one ask for FL140 on VFR FPL?

The climb rate in turbulent airmass in a hot day with 4pob would be awful even for C182, one has to climb at some fixed point in space irrespective of conditions inside clouds, aircraft was heading toward mountains and high terrain north !

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jun 07:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You can look up the sat24 IR and the meteox.com archive for the date/time.

Administrator

I flew on the same dates similar route though a bit more to the east on the 26th there was a solid cloud deck over the area of Maria Zell till FL100. I stayed in the Danube valley along Linz for a while before turning direction STEIN assuring first a was clear at FL120 to go over it, I was on oxygen. Weather past the Alps was nice
On the 29th however the weather in the southern part of Hungary and for sure Croatia was not good. I woke up at 4 AM to assess the weather. There was a wide spread icing forecast light to moderate from FL080 till FL180. The window of opportunity was around 6AM after 11AM things would get worse ENR rain lowering ceilings etc…. including icing levels over the Alps…I flew at 6000 Ft most of the way back I took the Wiener Neustadt route to avoid climbing going over Maria Zell min FL100 required. It was possible to stay clear of icing at 7AM arounf FL080 not anymore around 11AM IMHO, looking how the clouds were building over the mountains while I passed there. At the time of take off the weather was not good in the south it cleared up significantly direction Vienna……I remained at 6000 and during penetration of some some showers around DKB I for sure had my TKS on, till past Frankfurt I climbed till FL100 as there was a solid cloud deck over the Ardennes. My descent was rapid till Liege but still my windshield picked up ice very quickly till I pushed the windshield pump … below 5000Ft temps were OK again….just saying it wasn’t an easy day for travelling with GA and for sure not VFR with the icing forecast TILL FL180/mountains . I only can promote to correlate data from DWD (flugwetter) ADWICE, Windy and ADL to get the picture before you depart…..

Last Edited by Vref at 02 Jun 12:24
EBST
Sign in to add your message