Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Maintenance induced catastrophic failure?

Given the list of work done, and the hole in the engine, and what we could see in the hole…my bet would be “yes”.

Andreas IOM

why on earth would you put the gear down that early and in the turn?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

yep… nicely documented (brings back some memories as well…). And saved the day, well done on that 👍🏻

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

because you know you are going to make the runway, the proof is in the pudding

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Habit? Something to do? Certainly not a good idea unless you are sure you have enough energy to make it to the desired landing spot.

That’s the kind of catastrophic failure that’s part of all of our SEP pilots’ nightmares. I’d hate to be the owner of the engine overhaul facility.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Some thougts apart from a fine piece of flying! It worked out perfectly.

The 210 has a hydraulic gear, so what would happen if the engine stands and you are trying to put the gear down? Did he want to make sure it goes down while the engine still was turning somewhat?

Why would the PFD go Xed out once the engine stopped? With an engine out scenario, possibly in IMC, that is NOT what I would want to happen!

I guess the company which did the IRAN overhaul has some heads to scratch and questions to answer.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver
The hydraulic pump is electrically driven and does need sufficient battery power only

EDAQ, Germany

slowflyer wrote:

The hydraulic pump is electrically driven and does need sufficient battery power only

Roger, thanks. That puts that one to bed right away.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

“I overhauled the bottom end of the engine…” at 0:32…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

The 210 has a hydraulic gear,

Not on all models. The earlier ones (up to at least H model) have the engine-driven pump, later ones have an electro-hydraulic system where an electric motor – independent of the engine – drives the pump. In this case you need sufficient battery power.

49 Posts
Sign in to add your message