Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna P210 N731MT down at Hohenems LOIH

LFFK is really a VFR field in class G but it has a GNSS approach with restrictions. It has no tower, AFIS, or ATC. La Rochelle ATIS can be received in the air and contact can be made with several ATS, La Rochelle, Nantes, Poitiers, and Cognac. But not necessarily on the ground.
Take off minima boxes are shown on the plates but no figure is entered.
The overall regulation is therefore RVR minima 400m.
But, there is no RVR measuring equipment, however in France you have the Vibal, ie the pilot can judge 400m by looking down the runway and counting runway markers. And of course for an IFR departure if you are unable to land back on the runway in case of a problem you must have a take off alternate wîthin 30mins flying time for SEP or 1hr for MEP. MDA here is 670ft but with a circle to land (No AFIS or ATC).
This area is pretty flat, although there are many wind turbines and some antennae and water towers. Above 3000ft is a restricted zone for military training and over the whole of France, just about, it is recommended to fly above 1500ft due to fast jet (military traffic).
So as PIC you look along the runway at LFFK and you have visibility that the pilot of the P210 would possibly have had ie. slightly worse than the webcam picture.
So regardless of any regulations and in the words of Dirty Harry “do you feel lucky?”

France

@ibra

Better keep it simple and take the car instead of attempting VFR airfield departures straight into IMC.

Signed
Countless dead pilots

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Nov 17:48
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

This is a VFR airfield. IMC conditions prevailed. When will people finally learn?

What people need to learn is that if they use airports without IFR procedures, they will have to design their own procedures in advance and be satisfied that they are safe. Departure is seldom a problem as long as you have a bit of forethought.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Oh dear. I have seen (who I assume to be the) owner post on Beechtalk, he’s a regular there. Hopefully it was not him on board.

United Kingdom

Ibra wrote

in Golf the weather is always VMC and the flight path is always done according to IFR trajectories, everything 100% legal and safe

Uhm, what?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Nov 17:26
always learning
LO__, Austria

What people need to learn is that if they use airports without IFR procedures, they will have to design their own procedures in advance and be satisfied that they are safe. Departure is seldom a problem as long as you have a bit of forethought.

I wouldn’t bet my life on „self designed IFR procedures“. I wouldn’t even fly professionally designed and published ones in a SEP in such marginal weather.

The problem here is simply taking huge risks and then acting astounded over the aftermath.

Besides that, LOIH is VFR only, period.

Ironically, while the P210 crashed today, a Netjets plane (Twin jet, proper avionics + two professional crew obviously) was inbound to land around the corner at LSZR and elected to divert. They tried two approaches, couldn’t get in.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Oh dear. I have seen (who I assume to be the) owner post on Beechtalk, he’s a regular there. Hopefully it was not him on board.

It wasn’t.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Assuming it’s NCO+SERA for uncontrolled IFR takeoff in Golf without ATC/AFIS, you design your IFR departure trajectory and fly it on ASI & HSI untill you can pick your IFR clearance to join airspace (or better have an en-route IFR clearance on the phone), as simple as that

Your takeoff minima is 400m RVR or in plates for departure or 1.5km on visual manoeuvring (depending on TAF, METAR, RVR, ATIS), the ceiling is irrelevant for IFR takeoffs, you can always nominate a takeoff alternate if you can land back, voila !

I know it’s 100% legal from my “IFR private grass strip in UK” but not sure about “German VFR airfields”…

There is nothing professionally designed for IFR takeoff from GPS IAP non-instruments runways, it’s the same as before but if you are happy with VFR tag removed be my guess

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Nov 17:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

If everything is so legal and handy dandy why do people keep killing themself? My point is ADM not legality!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Ibra wrote:

The problem starts when you’re airborne as in Germany any IFR clearance you get when departing a VFR airfield won’t be valid until you pass the MVA in the climb.

Just FYI (my bold above): Hohenems is in Austria. Different country.

Sign in to add your message