Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emergency landing PA28 with missing left wheel

10 Posts

Very well executed emergency landing after loss of LH wheel.

Crew was advised by AFIS they were missing a wheel. They diverted to Basle and successfully landed with minimal damage.

[YT URL fixed – one has to use the URL shown in the browser bar]

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Very well executed indeed! Good skills, well done those guys.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

I would have quit the engine at least 10 seconds earlier, because it’s me paying it

But yes, well done. Interesting to read, that one should in fact land on a concrete runway. I would’ve tempted always a grass strip, because I learned so when flying gliders (you can make a landing with gear raised in a glider in a grass strip practically without damage, and be flying the next day again). But it sounds reasonable to go on asphalt with a powered vehicle. For example, this landing would have ended worse in grass, I think.

Germany

It looks like it might be a damage free incident, except for bolt on stuff. Obviously the landing gear itself, tip fairing on the horizontal stabilizer and the tail skid. You’d surely want to inspect the horizontal stabilizer very carefully, and it might be damaged. That’s pretty good given the possibilities.

Looks like someone has not been paying attention to the landing gear fork AD.

A_and_C wrote:

Looks like someone has not been paying attention to the landing gear fork AD.

Which is…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I guess SB1131A ..

EETU, Estonia

UdoR wrote:

Interesting to read, that one should in fact land on a concrete runway.

Yes one might think gras is nice and soft but parts seem to dig into the surface and then you no longer slide over the surface but come to a sudden stop. I once read that the same seems to apply for helicopter emergency landings. On hard surfaces the nose slides and on soft surfaces the nose digs in and makes things worse.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

ivark wrote:

I guess SB1131A ..

Can’t be. The aircraft in question is a PA-28-181 and that SB (and associated AD) doesn’t apply to that variant.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne Again.

This may ask more questions than it answers. First was the aircraft fitted with the early leg ? Second should the SB be extended to cover the late legs.

When my PA28 had the legs changed ( due fork cracking ) this area of the leg remained an area of interest during inspections.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message