Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 N644SR chute failure

The video is interesting also for the guy’s view that the chute is not a viable option if flying over rough terrain. I find that surprising. Obviously, over a lot of mountain peaks with nothing in between, is not going to end well. But here the photos don’t show any of that.

There was a problem with the rocket igniter and an MSB SB2X-95-27 has just come out on that.

ASN

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Imagine the pilot’s surprise; no ‘chute!!! I’m going to have to keep flying it! It’s a decent plan to have a flyable plane as a back up system!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada
I absolutely love that comment.

“Is it safe?” – “Oh, yes, very! If the parachute fails, I can still land it using the mechanical backup called ‘wings’ and ‘flight controls’. I even had a back-up system for the autopilot installed, I spared no expense”…

I think in this video, the armchair quarterback commenter is a bit off the mark blaming the initial reaction of the pilot to try to make it to a runway on the parachute. Plenty of examples of non-chute-equipped pilots thinking the same way. It takes guts to decide very early on to make for unprepared ground, and it is hardest if an airfield ‘might be just in reach’.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 13 Jun 18:28
Biggin Hill

In high wind, what will the parachute do? Your ground speed will be wind speed, and until disconnected, pull will continue.
In mountainous terrain updrafts may lift.
In a 30 knot wind with a 60 knot stall an into-wind landing will have the same ground speed, with a lower descent speed at impact.
A light-sport with an engine failure over Texas was dragged by the parachute after landing, killing one of the occupants.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Final NTSB report:

Report_WPR21LA145_102822_4_1_2023_7_28_22_AM_pdf

Rocket failure. Some online stuff about a bad batch of these.

Administrator

Good outcome, glad his flying skills hadn’t atrophied.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The rocket failure probability is unfortunately nowhere near close to zero. It must be a significant factor in the overall statistics.

Controversial as hell, obviously…

Administrator

RobertL18C wrote:

Good outcome, glad his flying skills hadn’t atrophied.

Reminds me of failed attempt in firing Arcus SLMG engine at 900ft agl with a tight field under…for 10 seconds, I forgot how to fly glider plus windmilling propeller was not helping much, there is a nasty surprise element that one gets, I hope any Cirrus driver is ready for that one !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message