Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crash on go around - cockpit camera

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ca1_1415189926

A Russian pilot with an FI. The video is not for the faint-hearted.

Sad, but also quite bizarre:

- Why is the a/c yawing to the left that strongly? After all, that is a little Rotax up front, not a Merlin or similar.

- Why is nobody trying to counteract the yawing and subsequent rolling motion? Not even in the end, when it would have definitely increased survival chances?

- It seem’s the RHS guy is actually REDUCING power between go-around and approaching the wood.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

If you look at the ASI and AI, the aircraft appears to be stalling and dropping a wing in the end, so there is not much they could have done to counteract the rolling at that point.

The really odd thing is that airspeed is more or less constant until the point where the RHS person is reducing power, then it starts to drop.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This is totally bizarre – what were these guys doing? I don’t understand the extreme yaw either, nor the actions of the RHS guy. I mean – reducing power in this situation? Also, there doesn’t seem to be anyone clearly in command. Both manipulate the controls. I would have expected the FI to take over if this was totally uncommanded. Very strange – and sad.

In my experience with the Rotax powered Tecnam P2002 it needs a lot of right rudder on takeoff / ga despite it being only 100hp.

I apologize for the slight thread drift but here is an interesting video of something going wrong also after getting into the air.
Student pretty shocked, but coping. Instructor very professional, even finding the time to talk to tower.. And making sure the student did what is needed..
No injuries luckily. Just some cost to the Canadian tax payer, and some income to a certain UK company.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I also don’t understand what was going on in that first video.

I think they turned left far too soon. They still had runway underneath. You always make sure you are in a stable climb before turning – very unusual obstacle clearance scenarios excepted.

Then they just banked left, way too much, and that was it… maybe they were both on twatter and telling everybody about the successful go-around?

There are loads of blood-filled plane crash videos on youtube, BTW…. I recall one which was far worse than this one.

The second video shows what looks like a turnback to the runway. Those are always impressive (when successful). I saw one at Shoreham once.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message