Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corsica - Which airport ?

Planning a little trip over to Corsica, trying to decide which airport to use, anybody who has visited this island have any recommendations?

All seem to have Avgas as far as I can see so its down to the area really and of course less hassle the better!

Last Edited by PhilTheFlyer at 05 May 08:52
Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Hi Phil, there was a flight report of a trip to Corsica earlier on EuroGA.
It’s here: http://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/2137-flight-report-figari-lfkf-south-corsica

Just found it! Thanks, very useful

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Last time I planned a stop there, a few years ago, one of the airports was out of avgas, and was out of avgas for weeks or longer, so a phone call / email is probably advised (as always).

Bastia was very nice.

Nobody speaks a word of English. Nobody. On principle. Absolutely nobody I phoned up the aeroclub and the man slammed the phone down the instant he heard a foreign language.

Last Edited by Peter at 05 May 11:33
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nobody speaks a word of English. Nobody. On principle. Absolutely nobody…

I was there once to pick up a group of Arab customers with thick wallets full of (expected) tips and suddenly everybody spoke perfect English

EDDS - Stuttgart

IFR: Calvi

VFR: Propriano ! (private beach)

EBST, Belgium

I plan to go there this we – concur on Propriano!!

I have been at Figari, Calvi and Propriano. My favourite airport is Figari, very nice there and friendly. The language problem is an issue but can be resolved with your hands and a smile. On Departure I was very well prepared but did not understand the SID the Tower gave to me. After several “say again” I got a different Route which came very clear.
The car rental at Figari is cheaper than at Calvi where you have to pay an extra charge of 40 Euro when picking up the car at the airport. Propriano has an amazing beach right at the end of the runway but the aifield itself is a disaster.

Berlin, Germany

Great Info guys

My French is pretty good but I am wondering if there is a strange dialect on the island?

As far as a nice area to actually visit, airfield aside for the moment, would Propriano be the the choice?

Our plan is to Fly from Carcassonne, where we will be based for a while this Summer (before anybody says it I know there is no fuel at Carca, pain in the bum!) and stay over 2 or 3 nights in Corsica with a hire car to take a look around. Can we get a hire car at Propriano airfield?

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Corsican language has a lot in common with Italian, as a result of Genoa being in control for a long time. But I think you’ll be just fine with standard French, based on observation (mine is non-existent)

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message