Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Correct logging of PIC in logbook

I need to send in my Logbook to the CAA as part of the process of obtaining a CBIR on the back of my FAA IR.

In looking through my logbooks, I realise that in 15 years and 1600 hours of flying, in the column marked “PIC/Flight Instructor” I have never filled in my own name. I have followed what I was taught way back in Switzerland by my instructors. Namely, not to put my own name in the PIC/FI column on the basis that it is superfluous as it is MY logbook, but to always have the Instructor put their name for any instructional flight.

I saw a post recently (which I now cannot find), in which someone indicated that their logbook had been rejected by the CAA for not including the PIC details next to EVERY flight.

Does anyone know if this is in fact correct?

If so is the correct procedure to include the full name, a signature, or will initials do?

If it was an instructional flight I assume the FI is in fact the PIC, not me in the left seat, so just their name is the correct name to put there?

Thank you!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

The usual way is to put “SELF” in that field. Actually, I have never seen any other variant.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

That’s funny

I used to log SELF during my PPL training but ever since then I have put my surname in there. In a journey log the surname makes a lot more sense too, because that is more of an “aircraft related” document.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Where would you put your name or SELF? The remarks? I leave this empty unless there is a significant remark.

Here is what my logbook looks like:

Last Edited by Dimme at 01 Jul 14:12
ESME, ESMS

I don’t see the point of writing “SELF” if you have logged the time as PIC as then you must have been the PIC. (According to European rules.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My logbook has a column for “left hand seat” and another one for “right hand seat” and enough space to fill in the roles of the persons sitting there for each flight.

So far I put in “PIC” under every flight since the PPL exam, even though several of those were with an FI in the RHS.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

So far I put in “PIC” under every flight since the PPL exam, even though several of those were with an FI in the RHS.

I thought that was on the US way. Did you agree beforehand who was in command?
My understanding under EASA rules is that whoever has the “last word” is the PIC. When doing checkout (or just instructional flights), I log these as PIC, and expect the student to log PUT.

FCL050 AMC says name of PIC for every flight and I have heard CAA recently rejected some applications for SELF (has traditionally been written in UK) rather actual name – I have put a note in front of mine which says where SELF is written this means logbook holder as annotated

On a tangent – I did once fly with a lady whose surname was SELF and I believe she did a instructor course later as well!

Now retired from forums best wishes

She could have started a holiday accommodation business called SELF CATERING.

I’ll get my coat…

The story about the UK CAA rejecting “SELF” is outrageous but no surprise. Being pedantic is the last refuge of the incompetent, and my last IR took 9 months to get issued.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also know they have rejected applications recently because the logbook didn’t have holders name and address in

Now retired from forums best wishes
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message