Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 2-RORO Crash in Wales (All Occupants Survived)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-48243610

I wonder if CAPS was deployed and its just coincidence that they came down on a wide road or if they tried to put it down. It’s based in EIKY apparently.

EIMH, Ireland

Lucky people. Perhaps the power line ignited the fire?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Most importantly, it is wonderful to see all survive. Wishing you a fast recovery.

PF

Channel Islands

Hmmm….

That stretch of road is developing a reputation like the Bermuda Triangle. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36629540

EGKB Biggin Hill

Interpolating from the video on sky news

..and the google streetview from that same stretch of dual carriageway

There is a very hard to see set of cables crossing the road at low level. The railway, which was shut due to cables falling on the rails, is parallel with the road, and perpendicular to those cables.

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 12 May 23:58

From the Sky News:

“reported seeing the plane flying low and hearing its engine cutting out before it crashed.”

Sounds like an engine failure, apparently (from other social media) while approaching to land.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anybody know where the flight was bound to? (ASN says it departed Denham…)
I somehow can’t believe he wasn’t originally bound to Abergavenny airfield. I mean, do you really think he had some kind of problem, exactly in that location, which then forced him to land at Abergavenny airfield and then he botched the approach, flying into the wires? Most pilots with an engine failure would not try to glide it into an unknown, challenging strip, but pull the CAPS instead…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 May 06:50
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Depends if he had partial power or if engine quits in the last minutes but honestly in a Cirrus why not just pull the caps? instead of doing forced landing…

You just need to have few decent places in mind at 2000ft (any slope, road, houses around tend to render it not good) and one that you stick to and can make at 1000ft while having engine at idle, it does not have to be perfect nor an airfield, but the assumption is that a big airport does not have too much obstacles around but for some airstrip sitting along roads/houses an isolated farm nearby is probably better if you can’t tweak your flight path…

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 May 07:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

would not try to glide it into an unknown, challenging strip, but pull the CAPS instead…

That would certainly be the normal procedure for an engine failure at altitude, but the report of somebody hearing the engine stop suggests it was not all that high up.

I am told they were landing at the nearby strip.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

but the report of somebody hearing the engine stop

well… experience shows that such “reports” by non-pilots are usually worth nothing. Especially if the aircraft was bound to that airfield anyway. I mean, how likely is it to get engine problems duing the very last few minutes of a flight?

I am told they were landing at the nearby strip.

Yes, 99% probability, I would say.

My fear is it will cast a bad light sooner or later on Abergavenny airfield.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 May 08:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message