Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 501 Citation 1 SP for sale with an AOC!

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Of course. I thought about Adam here, who is checked out fully on the Commander, which I don’t think is much less complex than a 501 plus has very different characteristics when flown OEI.

I have never flown with Adam but I would point out that “being checked out” is very different from a type rating training process. 16 hours in a simulator or aircraft doing non stop emergencies is not the same as a couple of local flights.

Michael wrote:

Yep, I guess someone’s gotta deal with those chemical loos

I wouldn’t know. Emptied it last week so it didn’t freeze on the ground at -27C. Dont think I will fill again or tell anyone it is even there.

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Feb 16:28
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I have never flown with Adam but I would point out that “being checked out” is very different from a type rating training process. 16 hours in a simulator or aircraft doing non stop emergencies is not the same as a couple of local flights.

I don’t know what it takes to fly a turboprop commander in the US, in Europe, would it require a type rating? But I know what a type rating training is like, I’ve done the SB20 at a time and most parts of the Caravelle one before that company went bust. In both cases I would have found out what it is to fly an exemplar without something massively broken afterwards, so I do get your concern . I also remember the advice I got from a sim instructor once never to take my wife on one of those sessions, she might think the airplane was slightly less than reliable….

JasonC wrote:

Dont think I will fill again or tell anyone it is even there.

Good thinking ! A guy I know who owns a Winnebago has employed a very similar strategy. His guests usually used the garden instead, even though this might prove difficult on an airplane…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Quote But the bigger reason is probably that the plane can be used for charter.

There is no significant charter work for old jets, particularly old small jets like the Citation 1

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Michael wrote:

I disagree.

The FARs are pretty clear on this :

§ 65.81 General privileges and limitations.

(a) A certificated mechanic may perform or supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance or alteration of an aircraft or appliance, or a part thereof, for which he is rated (but excluding major repairs to, and major alterations of, propellers, and any repair to, or alteration of, instruments), and may perform additional duties in accordance with §§ 65.85, 65.87, and 65.95. However, he may not supervise the maintenance, preventive maintenance, or alteration of, or approve and return to service, any aircraft or appliance, or part thereof, for which he is rated unless he has satisfactorily performed the work concerned at an earlier date. If he has not so performed that work at an earlier date, he may show his ability to do it by performing it to the satisfaction of the Administrator or under the direct supervision of a certificated and appropriately rated mechanic, or a certificated repairman, who has had previous experience in the specific operation concerned.

(b) A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless he understands the current instructions of the manufacturer, and the maintenance manuals, for the specific operation concerned.

But that doesn’t read to me like you have to send someone off to a specific type school. It reads to me that you must consult the maintenance manuals, understand them and be properly rated to do that maintenance (which is his A&P license) and have done it before.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Feb 22:55

Neil wrote:

There is no significant charter work for old jets, particularly old small jets like the Citation 1

Why is there no charter work on this aircraft? is it because it is to old?

ESGT/ESGP, Sweden

ABCD wrote:

Why is there no charter work on this aircraft? is it because it is to old?

Old, small amd slow.

EGTK Oxford
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message