Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can more people start threads, please (also New Post feature)

This is a tongue in cheek reminder for everyone that anyone can start a new thread.

It doesn’t have to be the mod/admin

So, if you have an aviation related question or topic that has been bugging you -

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

I was thinking about how you can encourage people to start interesting threads, and ran into the T-shirt thread. How about a free t-shirt to the person who starts the most active thread each week, or something like that, to be picked up at a EuroGA fly-in to spare mailing cost? Don’t know if that’s the right kind of incentive but anyway… It’s free advice so you know how to treat it

Last Edited by denopa at 03 Aug 14:02
EGTF, LFTF

I did think of doing something similar and I think in general terms it’s a great idea, but it could work out a bit expensive to do this each week I’ve just paid out over 500 quid for the initial batch of 100 t-shirts.

However, handing the t-shirt over at a EuroGA fly-in is also a great idea

Let me get them in and see what people think of them. I will already be bringing a number of them to Dresden.

Administrator

Somewhere around 50-100 t-shirts have now gone out. It seems a good time to revisit this proposal. Any views?

Administrator

As a new pilot and aircraft owner I have several questions a day that I would like to ask but don’t, because I don’t feel they warrant a new thread, and am wary of asking stupid questions. Is there, or was there ever a ‘post noob questions here’ type thread?

EIMH, Ireland

There is absolutely no such thing as a stupid question, zuutroy.

A lot of of people feel the way you do. I know this from talking to countless people on here, off-forum. Many think the forum is too technical, etc. But that is a circular situation which feeds on itself.

Administrator

Not an excuse for not starting a thread, but you might mention, Peter, (and I’m doing it here ) that the button

only appears when in one of the sub-forums. This may seem a bit obvious, but I don’t think it is to new users. I know that I searched a long time for that button for my first new thread until I stumbled on it in one of the sub-forums and had an aha moment.

LSZK, Switzerland

only appears when in one of the sub-forums.

That is probably to help people post in the right section, otherwise posts would be placed into some random section.

Administrator

What about having a separate section dedicated to “noob questions”? If it makes more people feel comfortable asking questions, it would surely be a good thing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is the Learning and Starting Out section.

However I also feel that a “noob” section would be seen by many as slightly demeaning. I say this because the internet is full of that already. Let’s say you post a noob question on some “super nerdy IT forum” e.g. XDA. 90% of the time you get no response (because the super nerds regard you as sub-human, because they patch android in assembler at 3am) and 10% of the time you get offensive posts telling you that you are a noob and should read the 1000-post thread Been there, got the t-shirt a few times…

GA generally benefits from being inclusive… we have been total beginners at some point

Administrator
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message