Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW

Only the Swiss routes however you will see that I have mentioned route 44 Sion / Lugano that has the same characteristics as GSB (as it is affected by the same patterns i.e. mostly N/S pressure diff) and can be a good proxy.

T28
Switzerland

@peter – my tracked route is below. In from Calvi (Corsica) out direct to Oxford:

The route in via Turin down the valley is phenomenal and highly recommended. I did it in perfect weather and whilst there is an IAP, having done it VFR, I wouldn’t recommend it as the approach is very steep and you’ve got mountains all over the place.

On the way out, I went VFR until around Geneva. Have to say, it was fairly scary. I climbed east to FL105 (about the highest I can reasonably get in a C182 – not turbo) then turned back west and crossed the pass towards Albertville and Geneva. The cloud base wasn’t far above me and if you get stuck in one of those valleys you’ve had it. Make sure you know your way out. My big suggestion is to go out early morning (when the weather is better) and also build in some time for customs – we got inspected by the Italians at the last minute because the guy hadn’t seen an aircraft all day.

Picking up an IFR clearance at Geneva was easy and then it was direct back with a slight dog leg around Paris. Return trip was around 6 hours.

I guess going the other way is fairly straightforward – and at least you can see the weather ahead of you before deciding whether to divert or not. Note that Albertville is one of those airports where you need a mountain rating or DGAC instructor sign-off for reasons I struggle to understand.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Many thanks Charlie.

Is all GAFOR data behind paywalls? We have e.g. this discussion. Funny who one finds there

I vaguely recall seeing a site which presented the GAFOR route map.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did it all with Google Earth actually, then overlaid the route into SkyDemon

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Charlie wrote:

Note that Albertville is one of those airports where you need a mountain rating or DGAC instructor sign-off for reasons I struggle to understand.

The same story as Sallanches nothing special but it is restricted usage to those with mountain rating but has zero attraction to anyone after mountain flying so at the end of the day zero movements ! Albertville is also under closure line: once a public airport is only used by 2 local instructors and less than 30 local pilot members it will go down the road

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That is not what the rules for Albertville say.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

That is not what the rules for Albertville say.

Thanks for clarifying, you are an instructor so you are exempt
Checkouts by local FIs is not practical for anyone visiting using their aircraft TBH

T28 wrote:

Only the Swiss routes however you will see that I have mentioned route 44 Sion / Lugano that has the same characteristics as GSB (as it is affected by the same patterns i.e. mostly N/S pressure diff) and can be a good proxy.

Yes route 44 should give a good proxy for weather in the Valley and other side, personally, I was never lucky with it to make Lugano via Simplon pass VFR, I tried 2 times so far, my mistake was arriving a bit late in middle of the day, maybe I should spend a night nearby rather than clocking 7h in one day but that need load of Mrs approvals and she is not joining for mountain flying

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Oct 16:15
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Checkouts by local FIs is not practical for anyone visiting using their aircraft TBH

What I was (also) getting at is that the instructor signing off doesn‘t have to be „local“. And not „DGAC“ either, There doesn‘t even have to be a flight.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Oct 16:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Does a CRI count as an instructor? I would assume so?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

T28 wrote:

Actually it should be “publishes” because you have to pay for it. You can see the route forecast in Skydemon, or behind the paywall at Skybriefing.com.

flugwetter.de also has those.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message