Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AOPA: Germany to extend Cessna SID deadline until June 2015 (2018)

In a move to reduce the workload of the UK CAA to handle all German refugees in a short time, the German Ministry of Transport (responsible for the LBA) plans to extend the deadline for the Cessna SIDs to June 2015.

For sub 1200kg Cessnas (152/172 etc.) this means they will be able to transition into the ELA 1 regime and thus not subject to the SID nonsense. They can stay on the German register. For the rest, this gives us one additional year to peel off the German flag and a little bit of hope that the time can be used to clear up this issue by fixing the dreaded Part M. A good test of the “new GA mandate” of EASA.

AOPA article (in German) here.

The latest word in the UK is that the UK CAA is taking another look the SIDS issue following a number of MOR’s that have been received.

While I won’t quote my source, it would seem that they don’t want the UK to become a dumping ground for under maintained aircraft from the rest of Europe, in addition to this EASA is not too happy with the UK CAA for taking this pragmatic view of the SIDS.

Also on the horizon is the LAMP on compliance issue and the probability of all aircraft going onto manufactures maintenance program’s ……… And you can guess what is part of Cessna’s program !

As for the SIDS being nonsense that is the opinion of some on these forums but having gone through the program with two of the better maintained aircraft and found a number of issues that would have become safety critical in the next 1-2000 hours I have to say the program has merit, I can only hazard a guess as to the things that the SIDS will uncover on some of the unloved aircraft in the GA fleet.

Gents, I am quite interested in a Cessna 150 from 1968 and the owner states that SID 1-9 are complied. However he is not able to tell me about CPCP and if there are other compulsory SID to incorporate in a near future.
I’ve read somewhere that LBA (it is a D register plane) didn’t issue any AD regarding these matters.
My question is: Is CPCP optional ? To avoid any surprises, will I need to comply any further SID’s ?
Thanks
Tiago

Berlin EDAY

SIDs 1-6 I think he refers those, those are part of every honest 100h check so it means nothing. They had to be signed to get the Dec 2015 extension from LBA.

In order to get an ARC with a D-reg Cessna after Dec 31, 2015, you have to have all SIDs completed. I would not recommend you buying that aircraft at this point.

Thanks for your feedback achimha. Yes, you’re right. SID 1-6.
So it means that after 31Dec2015 all the SID listed below+CPCP needs to be complied ?
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=37393
The good thing is that the plane needs a new paint, maybe would be the best time to carry out these inspections.

Berlin EDAY

Sorry, wrong link. Here is the correct one

Berlin EDAY

All SIDs need to be completed and all SBs that are referenced in the SIDs.

It will cost you more than the value of the 150. I would either

• let the seller do the SIDs (but properly, there is a lot of BS out there)
  • put it on the G-reg (which makes ownership more expensive because G-reg is less post-TBO liberal than D-reg)
  • run away

Wow, maybe that’s the whole reason for the sale. Thanks a lot achimha.

Does Piper have something similar ? I think I have to turn myself to a cherokee then.

Berlin EDAY

Piper does not have SIDs at this point but the Cessna SIDs are the result of a political mandate from the FAA to all makers of legacy aircraft. Cessna has complied very soon, Piper will have to do something similar. You never know.

BTW: There is another route: once ELA 1 comes into effect, the SIDs should be voluntary. That will be Jan 1st, 2016. ELA 1 is up to 1200kg which means a C150 would be covered.

So it’s like gambling, I can buy the plane and have my fingers crossed hoping that the ELA 1 is actually released and waive these requirements.

Berlin EDAY
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message