Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another Italian question: why did Customs have to be called out at great expense on a Sunday when entering Italy from another Schengen state?

My colleagues had cleared Customs and Immigration into Schengen at Deauville. They then stopped at a couple more French airfields, before continuing into Italy and landed at Siena on a Sunday.

At Siena, the locals insisted that they pay €140 to have the Customs guy come out to see them “because they were not from Schengen”. But of course, they had already entered Schengen in France.

Was this a) just a rip-off? Of b) a legit Italian requirement (like in Greece where local Customs need to be satisfied regardless of what another Schengen State might have decided about letting you in..!) ..??

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Assuming they flew into Italy on a flight plan, this is pure stupidity and/or a ripoff.

However there are multiple reports of such, in Italy.

@africaneagle might know more…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How weird. I flew into Italy from France last week without any problems at all. Then into Switzerland, then into France – all ok. Did your colleague file a fight plan? I always do them as a matter of course although, ironically, given your story, the Italians lost theirs and asked me to redo it over the phone, via Rome who were super helpful and facilitated an immediate departure.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

jgmusic wrote:

Then into Switzerland,

Without customs clearance? I hope not. Otherwise once the books of the airfield in question have been forwarded to the central customs office for recheck, you may expect a massive fine. Up to the VAT payable on the value of the airplane!!!

Switzerland is a member of Schengen but NOT of the customs union!! People tend to forget that, but customs here are VERY interested of finding folks who do.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Thats the opposite of what happened to me.Landing to Brindisi (as an ENTRY intermediate stop for a grass airfield) from Montenegro with my LZ-reg and GR nationality,the Customs officer asked the reason why I took the pain to land there, while I could fly direct.
Greece,Italy and maybe more countries produce lots of regulations which are so complicated,unexlpicable,equivocal; at the end it is up to each different public servand to translate and implement what he believes best…or even according to his moods.

LGGG

Peter wrote:

Assuming they flew into Italy on a flight plan

Yes they did mate…

Yeah baby!
EGTB

MedFlyer wrote:

Greece,Italy and maybe more countries produce lots of regulations which are so complicated,unexlpicable,equivocal; at the end it is up to each different public servand to translate and implement what he believes best…or even according to his moods.

I think this perspective explains a lot..!! :)

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Without customs clearance?

Yes, on arrival in the terminal building.

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Siena handling company is a mess.

I suggest you:

- write to the company management and ask for your money back.
- send a complaint direct to ENAC copying the handling company
- also send a letter to AOPA Italy (I will be forwarding your mishap anyway).

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

AfricanEagle wrote:

y management and ask for your money back.
- send a complaint direct to ENAC copying the handling company
- also send a letter to AOPA Italy (I will be forwarding you

Thanks – I will pass to my colleague Andy (now in Pescara)…

Ciao!!

Yeah baby!
EGTB
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message