Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does a 61.75 FAA PPL need a BFR

FAA Chief Counsel: 61.75 holders do need a BFR, etc

here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is this a surprise?

I thought it was clear that you need an FAA BFR before exercising a 61.75.

EGTK Oxford

Jason,

It wasn't clear, but if you thought it was, you were right.

KUZA, United States

Yes I used my 61.75 for about a year before I realised it was mandatory for a BFR. Then again I only exercise the privileges of it when I fly to France or something, as otherwise I am using the privileges of my JAR license while flying my N-reg in the UK.

OK I think they wrote it in my letter from the FAA when it was awarded.

EGTK Oxford

It is something not many people know but your 61.75 is only valid after the bfr.

It is good to repeat this info once in a while

FAA Certificates for EASA Licences

This doesnt affect me but it may be of interest to others in Europe…?

If you have a UK or EASA licence issued after 17 September 2012 with an FAA Certificate allowing flight in the US, you must have that Certificate re-issued by the FAA by October 2018 in order to retain its validity.

This is a FAA requirement.

The process is fairly straightforward and it does not require a trip to the USA.

Here is the CAA link..

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/Applications/Outside-EASA/FAA-certificates-for-UK-licences/

Or the FAA link..

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/easa/

Is that the same as this ?

Previously one had to make an appointment with a DPE, as the only alternative to a US trip, to “refresh” a 61.75.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Previously one had to make an appointment with a DPE, as the only alternative to a US trip, to “refresh” a 61.75.

Well, if you read the FAA link, that’s exactly the requirement they are eliminating.

Well, if you read the FAA link, that’s exactly the requirement they are eliminating.

Well, if you read the CAA link (which is now dead) that’s exactly the requirement they were eliminating in Dec 2013 when I posted that bit.

But maybe it took the CAA 3 years to get organised to actually do it?

Administrator
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message