Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another EASA/FAA 61.75 question

I’m sorry to have to ask this question but I have searched and am unable to find a succinct answer to a question I have from anywhere.

I currently have an EASA PPL with SEP rating and a current Class 2 medical. I also have an FAA ‘piggyback’ licence based on my old JAR PPL which I have just upgraded. I have filled out the CAA SRG 2110 form to arrange the revalidation of my licence and eagerly await my new FAA licence based on the new EASA number. I took an FAA BFR last year which is valid until 2017.

This is all fine.

I no longer fly in the UK and do all my flying in the USA, I plan to give this up within a few years when I return to the UK so do not want to go through the trouble of getting a full FAA PPL (TSA, exams, etc).

My question is, in order to keep legal when flying in the USA do I need to maintain my EASA SEP rating, by taking EASA BFRs. Or, as the FAA licence is based on my EASA licence (not ratings) which will not expire, can I just take FAA BFRs and Medicals?

Thanks for any information and that anyone can provide (and your patience )

I’m pretty sure everything on the “master” licence has to be up to date – ratings, medical, the lot. I haven’t got a reference, though.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

ColletteS wrote:

My question is, in order to keep legal when flying in the USA do I need to maintain my EASA SEP rating, by taking EASA BFRs. Or, as the FAA licence is based on my EASA licence (not ratings) which will not expire, can I just take FAA BFRs and Medicals?

You don’t need to keep EASA currency. It is sufficient that the underlying EASA licence has not been suspended or revoked or expired, but since EASA PPLs are valid for life, this can only happen if you do something very bad.

I haven’t got a reference either, but I am also pretty sure.

Edit: Here’s a prior reference

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 12 Apr 13:25

That’s amazing!

What about the EASA medical?

There is another possible consideration here, which is that after X years of not revalidating an EASA license, you may have to re-sit the PPL exams. Is this correct? I have no idea, but it would be a real bugger.

On a UK issued JAA/EASA IR, after 7 years of non-revalidation you have to re-sit the IR exams, AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

You don’t need to keep EASA currency. It is sufficient that the underlying EASA licence has not been suspended or revoked or expired, but since EASA PPLs are valid for life, this can only happen if you do something very bad.

I haven’t got a reference either, but I am also pretty sure.

Edit: Here’s a prior reference

Hmmm, this is what I have heard. I guess my worry is whether this is based on interpretation, or solid fact. I would hate to have to argue my interpretation against some FAA officials ‘facts’.

When you get back from the US you may need to do the whole PPL all over again if you let the SEP lapse.

LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

That’s amazing!

I think so!

I have heard you only need one, FAA or EASA.

On a UK issued JAA/EASA IR, after 7 years of non-revalidation you have to re-sit the IR exams, AFAIK.

Personally, for me, I won’t be flying in 7 years time so I’d be willing to accept this.

Aviathor wrote:

When you get back from the US you may need to do the whole PPL all over again if you let the SEP lapse.

I don’t intend to fly when back in the UK, time for a change, but for others reading this it will be a consideration.

Peter wrote:

Since § 14 CFR 61.75 says (my bold):

(4) Holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a medical license issued by the country that issued the person’s foreign pilot license

a US medical is sufficient to satisfy the requirements. I think there is no way to argue otherwise, if not they would have had to write “and” instead of “or”.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 12 Apr 13:57

ColletteS wrote:

Hmmm, this is what I have heard. I guess my worry is whether this is based on interpretation, or solid fact. I would hate to have to argue my interpretation against some FAA officials ‘facts’.

Sorry, I can’t find an official reference for this. If you want to be sure, you should ask someone at the FAA, and then you have it in writing.

It follows from the general principle of US law, that everything that’s not prohibited is, by default, allowed. Just the opposite from Europe What we are talking about here is your SEP class rating validity. Since they state that the licence must not be suspended, revoked, or expired, and they never talk about the ratings, then you can assume that the currency requirements for your ratings are those of the FARs and not those of the foreign licence. I also feel it is logical that the US cannot know about all the different currency requirements of all ICAO countries when they do a ramp check on you, so they really don’t care as long as you are FAA current.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 12 Apr 14:10
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message