Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Altitude encoder versus encoding altimeter (and is an annual ELT test mandatory in EASA-land)

The traditional encoders are like this and it appears they are not reliable. I have seen piles of them, mostly working but out of tolerance.

An encoding altimeter looks like this

I reckon the encoding altimeter is a lot more reliable because it has to be accurate anyway (being an altimeter) and the encoding is done optically so there is less to go wrong.

It might be something to think about. A Mode A readout is nearly useless to anybody else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I prefer the TransCal blind encoders. They are reliable, inexpensive and offer both parallel and serial ports. I would avoid anything built by Ameri-King. The cost of overhauling or exchanging something like a KEA-130A is just way too expensive.

KUZA, United States

We use the Garmin Altitude Encoder on all our installs, and find it very simple and reliable. It runs about $250 and change.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Sorry for a maybe two stupid questions:
1.) My KEA 130 Altimeter shows a difference of (I assume) about 50-100 feet from the Transponder Altitude indicaton.
Do I have to exchange the whole encoding Altimeter with another overhauled one or is an avionics shop able to recalibrate the Altimeter usually on site during static and pitot test?

2.) After the last annual the avionics guy of the mx shop insisted that the ELT has to be checked on every annual although the battery is safe until 2027, billing me 60 or more euros for checking the test beep. I‘m of the opinion that I can demonstrate this to anybody but without charging money for pressing a test button. Is this in EASA Land one of the current procedures that has to be done compulsory?

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

The KEA130A has no internal calibration. It has to be opened up and “overhauled”.

However there is a hack which is commonly done on altimeters whereby you loosen the subscale adjustment knob and this can be used to bring the error into the specification parameters. I don’t know any more but have seen it done.

AFAIK ELT test is not a requirement on EASA-reg.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Chris wrote:

s this in EASA Land one of the current procedures that has to be done compulsory?

In principle it’s not mandatory. My examiner wants to have it done every three years. There’s a Service Bulletin out that it should be done, for some reason that has to do with the acceleration sensor, forgot the SB number.

Germany

Thank you very much @Peter and @UdoR:
Especially the hint to the “unnecessary” 60€ beep test invention of the ELT (which seems to be a rip off).
I´ll try to find out who can recalibrate the KEA130A in Germany.

TB20 Airman

@Chris I am pretty sure we do our own ELT and PLB tests. We telephone an ATS centre and we say we want to do a test and agree a time. Then we just press the test button at that time and they come back to tell us that it is working and ownership details. Eg Confirm test okay and registered to aeroclub de Fontenay le Comte. Cost €0.
I don’t think that has changed since last year.
Or perhaps I have missed the point here.

France

@gallois: yes you´ve got the point correctly. It´s just about the situation that the avionics guy wants to convince me that this paid test is mandatory every year although the battery is good until 2027 – and as long as you don’t know better or know the legal basis, you’re being scre**d

TB20 Airman

come on, this isnt so hard. take a look in your ihp.

easa SIB 2019-09R1 is applicable.

https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2019-09R1

for 60-100Euros you get in our maintenance shop:

- removal of the elt
- installing g-switch loop (artex)
- testing of g-switch
- looking for battery due
- looking for secure installation
- visual check of antenna
- bonding check on composite planes
- reinstall
- (remote)-testing of 121,5mhz and 406mhz with avx-10k tester including decoding of the sarsat signal

Regards from a “ripoff” guy in your words

Last Edited by AvionicT at 15 Mar 15:20
Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message