LENGHT : 800 M
MARKING BY DAY
BY NIGHT UNTHIGHT
BALISAGE : JOUR / SANGLE DETENDUE LA NUIT

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Is that full of typos?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can only spot one (“unthight”). Don’t know about the French part, though.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’m bored (and usually annoy my coworkers by pointing out every typo they made):

• lenght
  • unthight

So this is about that? :

EDQH, Germany

There’s a bit of give and take involved in having one of the many versions of “English” as our mother tongue.

The “take” is that (perhaps with a few British regional exceptions ) we have acquired a practically universal means of communication without the hard work associated with learning a second language.

The “give” is that we cut ourselves and others a load of slack when we/they struggle with the idioms, complications and inconsistencies of English spelling and syntax.

As an aside, is this – mainly French? – predilection for sauntering along a slackline two thousand feet above terra firma evidence that some people are, how can I put it politely… wired differently?

Last Edited by Jacko at 19 Jul 09:26
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Those who practice this sport would probably say the same about mountain pilots, only that they don’t even have strings attached…

At least they stay in the same place where you left them and they stop walking on that line on days with 10kts winds or strong thermals, unlike paragliders and gliders

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Rwy20 wrote:

Those who practice this sport would probably say the same about mountain pilots

Well, my experience is that it is exactly how it works!

I once gave a talk on Alpine cave exploration in our Aeroklub. All the pilots said we must be very brave, since it surely has to be really dangerous to be only on our own 1 km under the ground…. and then some two months later one caver friend of mine refused to fly with me in the Aeroklub’s Cessna 172 – because it surely must be very dangerous to be on one’s own 1 km over the ground…

And – perhaps strangely – the common part of both of my hobbies is risk management. Most of people going caving think a lot how to avoid and mitigate various risks, rather than how to get even more risk exposure/adrenaline. Which is just like in aviation :-)

Last Edited by Mateusz at 20 Jul 22:10
EPKM, Poland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message