Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airspace around EBSP

Hello,
maybe we have some pilots from eastern Belgium here. Is the airspace there really as complicated as I think it is? On top the Jeppesen approach chart, the charts in the AIP and the German VFR chart seems to disagree on some aspects. As far as I can tell there is:
C airspace right above the airfield at 3000 MSL and to the north (Jepp plate says it starts 4500 which seems to be wrong)
EBD29 danger area starting at 1000 AGL
TSA29B military area starting 4500 MSL
HTA02/03 plus LA02/03 military low flying areas GND to 250/500 AGL
TRA31 military area starting 4500 MSL
No fly zone for noise reasons GND to 4000 MSL right to the north of the aerodrome
plus many more in the vicinity

I think I can manage to find a way flying low enough but did any of the people designing that airspace ever look at their final creation?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I fly from Hasselt EBZH and tend to pass around this area flying to and from my favourite haunts in the Rheinland-Pfalz area, so I have some experience.
As I have so often said: do not be daunted, it looks bad but it really isn’t, especially on weekends.

C airspace right above the airfield at 3000 MSL and to the north

Liege TMA, part Four, 3000’ AMSL-FL55. Only active at night, or in conjunction with military training activity. Cfr AIP, ENR 2.1.

All the others are military areas that are rarely active. Check the NOTAMs and confirm with Brussels Information who really do an excellent job. As for the HTA’s and LFA’s: I’ve never yet known any of them to be active. Which of course does not mean it can never happen.

I am however not aware of the “no fly zone for noise reasons”, where did you find that one? I have often been around around, usually at some 2500 AMSL, and never had any complaints, let alone worse.

As for those who created the airspace: Belgian is a country very different from Germany. The further one travels South, the greater the difference between what the law says and how it is applied – and we are very Southern, in that respect as in many. Do not be worried, use your R/T correctly and you’ll be ok.

Last Edited by at 18 May 02:07
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

So, reviving this thread ;-)
I am flying into Spa EBSP at the end of this week and I must admit I’m pretty flabbergasted by the complexity of it all. I have filed (and validated) an IFR/Y (EBSP is VFR only) flight plan on Friday afternoon. (admittedly this will be much simpler on weekends).
My final IFR waypoint is ARCKY below FL100, and then this mess starts VFR…

If any of this stuff is going to be actually active there is virtually no way through this.

TSA 13 A 2500’AMSL FL 105 la côte
TSA 26 B 4500’ AMSL FL 95 Charleroi & Florennes
EBD 26 1000’ AGL 4500’ AMSL Ardennen „5“
TSA 28 A GND FL 105 Elsenborn
TSA 28 B GND FL 105 Elsenborn
EBD 29 1000’AGL 4500’AMSL Ardennes “7”
TSA 29 A 4500’ AMSL FL 145 Florennes / Est de la Belgique “Ardennes “6”
TSA 29 B 4500’ AMSL FL 95 Florennes / Est de la Belgique
TSA 29 C 2500’ AMSL FL 95 Florennes / Est de la Belgique

Who invents this stuff? There is also no way in advance to really know whether any of it will actually be active, it is advised by NOTAM for a stretch of 50KM and for 50mins max ;-). I guess we will see how it all pans out….

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 21 Sep 16:27
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Generally, just divide it into two parts in your head: airspace below 4500 feet and airspace above. In the airspace below 4500 feet, normally, on weekends, none of the danger areas are active. They are then only activated by NOTAM. Skydemon is good for this, as they incorporate the AUP in their map and thus highlight if any if these areas are active. And above 4500 feet, you are in controlled airspace anyway, so the chore is on ATC to steer you as necessary.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

And above 4500 feet, you are in controlled airspace anyway, so the chore is on ATC to steer you as necessary.

That’s what I’m counting on ;-) – am flying on Friday just to make sure there is a chance of things actually being complicated ;-)

Where do you come from ? Looks like you come from the south via Luxembourg TMA. Inbounds Spa get a routing via DIK dct EBSP most of the time. As long as you stay IFR in CAS atc will get you in a spot from where an unobstructed descend to Spa will be possible.

EBST, Belgium

Looks way better on SkyDemon on both north/south, nothing fancy but I would check it more everything I see those “airspace butterflies”

Leaving Charlie airspace north-west keeps one in the loop with ATC, so only 1800ft agl to go !

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Sep 23:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Leaving Charlie airspace north-west keeps one in the loop with ATC, so only 1800ft agl to go !

Unless you plan to fly at night, you will never see that C-airspace.

EBST, Belgium

So no C-airspace between 3000ft & 4500ft during the day?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

airways wrote:

Where do you come from ? Looks like you come from the south via Luxembourg TMA. Inbounds Spa get a routing via DIK dct EBSP most of the time. As long as you stay IFR in CAS atc will get you in a spot from where an unobstructed descend to Spa will be possible.

That is what I was going to request, so that is reassuring. Will update as I will need to be in Luxembourg for meetings on Monday as well, very short flight could be interesting…

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message