Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To invest in property, or aircraft? TB21 for 240k euros, and other overpriced aircraft.

That is a world record!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And someone in Turkey wants 110k€ for a Cessna 150: c150_pdf

New paint, new engine, new interior but still a 50 year old 150.

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 31 Jul 22:14
EDQH, Germany

Here is another one: G-RAYM for €218k. That one is like mine but with a bit less kit (no TCAS, etc).

I could get seriously rich selling mine, at this rate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With the NATO no fly zones still active I was offered an island for EUR100k about three hours by boat from Dubrovnik. It had a derelict romanesque palace/complex on it, so must be easy to identify and find out what happened to it. It was an intriguing project but I passed on it, never fancied the Bond villain look.

This was a time when there quite a few bargains – a beach side villa on an acre could be bought for EUR 25k, although title insurance might be tricky and a friendly Serbian might turn up and ask what you were doing in his house.

Flying the Zagreb ILS at 180 knots because two MiG-21 were behind you, and they landed after, was part of the charm of Zagreb twenty years ago. The MiG-21s built like the proverbial brick house are still operational, designed to be serviced by the proverbial Ukrainian tractor driver.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes Emir, I have become very familiar with the word “Uhljeb”…

Unfortunately one of the main reasons why I sent my children abroad to start new life somewhere else. I don’t see any reason for supporting one of the most expensive and most corrupted countries in Europe.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes Emir, I have become very familiar with the word “Uhljeb”…….

Forever learning
EGTB

Perhaps, but a change in designation from permitted building zone to agricultural didn’t help!

It can easily happen in corrupted countries like Croatia where minister of infrastructure can order building completely useless bridge to his home village or where the mayor of capital can exchange his support to government (votes of his party members in parliament) to support of his private project which includes changing designation of building zones in capital city. Croatia is good as tourist destination but it’s hardly a country where you can invest in any business which corruptive structures (read: any level of government) are interested in.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Perhaps, but a change in designation from permitted building zone to agricultural didn’t help!

Ouch. Yes, that is as good as a total loss. I know people who had the same happen in Bulgaria, only there they declared a national park. Their land is totally lost to any kind of use….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You simply overpaid it – four years later you could’ve probably bought it for £15000.

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 25 Nov 21:41
Forever learning
EGTB

Personally I don’t like illiquid assets as investments, as investments they are often much more trouble than they are worth. If I buy a plane it’s to fly, not as an investment, and if I buy property it’s to live in it. In both cases I don’t care so much how much it’s worth after I’ve bought it. I’ll probably be both keeping my house and my plane pretty much forever!

Last Edited by alioth at 25 Nov 10:37
Andreas IOM
136 Posts
Sign in to add your message