Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

This Diamond looks like real fun (DART-450 and DART-550)

what_next wrote:

This turboprop trainer is really not something the world has been waiting for, there are dozens and dozens of similar ones

Maybe they are aiming for the market below the well-known designs. Their plane looks too small to weaponize it like the PC’s, the AT-6 or the EMB-314.

Whatever, I wish them the best.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Peter wrote:

I thought Grob got sunk by their jet project – the one which crashed killing a test pilot and a customer.

It was less the crash itself (quite a few successful aircraft projects lost one or more prototypes) but the cause of the crash, which showed that Grob was not yet ready to develop this kind of aeroplane. Too many designs in too little time can not work well. And this is what I see at Diamond. They don’t have their little jet ready, yet they divert resources to this turboprop thing. We will see.

blueline wrote:

Whatever, I wish them the best.

As a company certainly. But not with this thing, another killing machine with which some third world dictator can drop gas cartridges onto his rebels. Which has always been the main market for “military trainers”. The big air powers will rather invest in simulators to train their drone operators.

Last Edited by what_next at 18 May 18:13
EDDS - Stuttgart

The UK RAF are buying the Grob G120TP as the replacement for the current G115 Tutor.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

They don’t have their little jet ready, yet they divert resources to this turboprop thing.

Hasn’t the D-Jet been cancelled once and for all?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

A pretty good indication is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

blueline wrote:

Hasn’t the D-Jet been cancelled once and for all?

Who knows? This is from November 2015: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/nbaa-diamond-says-d-jet-not-dead-419272/

EDDS - Stuttgart

huv wrote:

The DA-62 is apparently selling well.

It appears that they’re selling one every few days (at least that’s the rate they’re building them and there’s a big order backlog). They are now at about serial number 70.

The traditional SEP / MEP manufacturers (Piper, Cessna, Beechcraft, Mooney, etc.) have give us very little reason to buy new aircraft for the last few decades. I can’t imagine anyone ever buying a new PA28 or C182 etc. You can almost certainly buy and upgrade a used model for a fraction of the price (and likely end up with a better aircraft). Take the PA28 my dad and I fly. It out performs / out specs a new factory model (speed mods, three bladed prop, better avionics…) and cost a fraction of the price, we would never trade it in for a new one… It’s no wonder that sales of these aircraft have been in sharp decline.

What Diamond is doing is created aircraft that are genuinely innovative and clearly differentiated from what’s out there. They will sell extremely well compared to the legacy manufacturers making incremental improvements to ancient airframes and engines. Just look at how well Cirrus did with a modern airframe (even if they still went for legacy engines!).

This is of course wonderful news for everyone. In a few years these aircraft will be available on the used market and will start replacing the ageing GA fleet. The future looks good

EGTR

And DA62 prolly keeps selling: Diamondaviators had information that there would be no FIKI in DA50, that was discussed at Friedrichshafen. Of course it’s quite long way to 2018 and actually getting the plane available for sale things might change. But I presume the price would be closer to 1M eur (say 7-800k or thereabouts?) and no fiki sounds like a bad traveller…

Flying Finn living in Switzerland.
LSZL LOcarno, Switzerland

One article on the DA50 is here

Dries claimed that fuel consumption of this engine is linear to power

Hmmm… some Nobel Prize grade physics has been employed there… The sort of curve which any internal combustion engine will do is a bit like this and you can see the fuel flow and power do not converge at 0,0. However, over a narrow range, stochiometric, the HP will be fairly linear with the fuel flow.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message