Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

View a Europa

Hi Guys,

I am still playing with some numbers but the plane purchase project is looking a bit more realistic. The permit numbers are almost adding up right now.

I want to try to confirm what I would like to buy. On financial numbers the Europa looks like the winner at the moment. Does anyone on here have one that I could come and talk to you about and view up close and personal?

Best,

Jon

P.s. I just want to add I don’t want to buy it off you, just get an honest appraisal and viewing. I figure if I approach a seller then there will be a very very positive spin on the conversation

Last Edited by italianjon at 09 Apr 18:41
EDHS, Germany

There is one at my home field and I am on good terms with its owner-pilot. He flies it alone, and takes a grand tour of Europe at large every year for a couple of weeks. I will be glad to get you in touch with him, though I’d have some trouble finding his coordinates – I just know him from meeting at the field.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hi Jan, thanks that would be great.

EDHS, Germany

If you’re not in a hurry, consider flying in to our “open door” days in the last weekend of August. The chap will certainly be there, last year he was a very effective marshaller (with myself operating “Hasselt Radio” for a while, and handing foreigners to him after landing).

PS in my observation, the Europa is the perfect LSA, it was years ahead of its time as the category has only been created recently. I once flew in one, though I was not a pilot at the time, and the memory is very good. Roomy, stable, dependable, or so it seemed at the time. Andy’s superb piloting may have added much to that favourable memory.

Last Edited by at 09 Apr 20:40
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I am not in that much of a hurry. I want to buy the right one. So will look at coming.

EDHS, Germany

The monowheel Europa is a good efficient aircraft, but the accident statistics show that it needs good technique on take-off and landing.
If you’ve flown Fourniers or similar, it shouldn’t be much of a problem.

Unless, of course, you mean a Wassmer Europa, which is quite a different matter.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

There was one advertised in this month’s LAA magazine as I recall. If you’re interested I can try and dig out the contact details.

The monowheel Europa is a good efficient aircraft, but the accident statistics show that it needs good technique on take-off and landing.

I have seen that. It looks to me to me to be the only downside. I have been in contact with Europa about the conversion kit to tri-gear. It’s actually a reasonable price, so an option to change away from monowheel is realistic. The reviews of the tri-gear are very good. I can only find one for sale at the moment.

There was one advertised in this month’s LAA magazine as I recall. If you’re interested I can try and dig out the contact details.

Yes, please. Couldn’t hurt. I am not 100% sure the Europa is the one yet. As I have never seen one in person. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time, but I can always call and be open and honest with my position.

Unless, of course, you mean a Wassmer Europa,

I have a very short history with that type… no way… I almost bought a share in one but after three failed flights due to mechanical issues, I bought a share in something else…

EDHS, Germany

I have a friend with a trigear Europa, unfortunately the aircraft is now in the USA but while it was here I got to fly it a few times. He had the turbocharged Rotax 914 in it. The climb angle was astonishing (2 up, we would go up at about 1800 ft/min at 60kt – it was like a glider winch launch). At economy cruise (about 120kt or so) the fuel burn was surprisingly low. Flew very nicely, too.

Having always flown things with lumbering direct drive engines, it took a bit of getting used to the sound of the Rotax engine turning at something like 5400 rpm in the cruise!

Last Edited by alioth at 10 Apr 10:20
Andreas IOM

@alioth is it a classic or xs?

EDHS, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message