Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

Move a Swedish Cessna 182P to G-reg (Cessna SID issue)?

Hi everyone.
I bought my first aircraft last year here in Sweden with a fresh annual.
It’s a beautiful C182P from 1972.

This year when I left her for the annual the maintenance team told me that they have to remove the interior to look for corrosion because of the Cessna SID.
I told them that I didn’t want to participate in that program but they refused to give me the certificate of airworthiness unless they were allowed to apply the SID.
I almost fell off my chair when they told me that it would add about £8000 on top of the annual this year.

That’s when I stopped them and told them to do the annual and make the plane airworthy until the first of July when the Cessna SID has to be done.
This gives me exactly two months to register my aircraft in a country that doesn’t force me, (a private pilot who flies about 50 hours/ year) to apply to that expensive SID.

From what I’ve heard the solution would be to G register my Cessna..
Is that true? Is Great Brittain truly a GA friendly country?

Is there anyone here who knows what can go wrong with that solution?

// Lennart (SE-FXV)


Quite a bit of information and talk on the forum here.
Since you speak good English (like all Swedes it seems), I would think that this is definitely an option for you.
AOPA Germany (which is at the forefront of this effort) just published a short guide for those moving to G-reg.
It’s in German, but you might understand it or else have it translated. See here.

P’s are nice. I occasionally used to fly one to very short strips on the Danish islands. Can use Mogas, too.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 May 18:30
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Congratulations on your 182P – great cross country cruisers, and in Europe seem to be good value compared to the US where the 182 commands a premium.

Difficult to gauge whether the SID is a good faith measure, although apparently the programme is uncovering airframe issues – which are not necessarily generic. This includes spar corrosion under bladder tanks, corrosion in the tailplane, and as your maintenance shop wanted to check, corrosion in the lower airframe behind the trim. Statistically no information how prevalent, but these issues were factors when issuing the SID.

I believe despite the SID the 182 has never had an airframe failure. So there is an element of abundance of caution going on here.

The argument that may be used to not enforce it on the G- register is that a lot of the required inspection would be carried out in any event – although removing wings and tailplane is not usual. The émigrés may find that the CofA inspection by the CAA inspector for first registration, in effect a survey, will require an expensive catch up annual.

For a six pot constant speed prop forty year old airframe, an annual in the UK would not be far off £5-6k on average, if you budget conservatively. A catch up annual might be higher.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks for the answer Boscomantico
I saw that post you refered to earlier but Google translator wasn’t the best way to translate that text.
I’m going to try to translate it word by word to make the sentences make some more sense.
I guess I need to try to find a person in England who can help me with the paperwork.
I also need to confirm with my mechanics that they are okay with the transfer..
Hopefully things will fall into place pretty soon.

// Lennart

Last Edited by C182P at 01 May 18:58

The émigrés may find that the CofA inspection by the CAA inspector for first registration, in effect a survey, will require an expensive catch up annual.

Might happen, but AOPA Germany even went to Gatwick to discuss all this with the CAA. According to them, it’s not going to happen.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Thanks Robert.

I just wonder how I can find out if they will force me to perform an expensive catch up annual?
There must be some rules about that or maybe it’s up to the person that will grant my G-register transfer?
Or is it my own mechanics here in Sweden that will force me to that? (a catch 22)
I think i need to make some phonecalls :)

// Lennart



If I read between the lines there shouldn’t be a problem i guess?
Maybe I should call someone from the CAA as well just to make sure that nothing can go wrong?

// Lennart



you don’t really need anyone in the UK doing this for you. All documents and procedures are on the web, the UK CAA speaks English and has a mail address. They said they need about 15 days for a transfer.

Also, you can continue to do all your maintenance in Sweden or anywhere else. Your aircraft does not once have to fly to the UK, neither for the register transfer, nor for any maintenance. Your Swedish shop just has to do the ARC according to UK guidelines which means he can’t force you to flush out 8000 GBP (or twice that easily) for the superfluous SIDs.

PS: you could gain one year by flying to Germany and doing the annual there. If you do that before July, you will be issued an ARC for 12 months without the SIDs.

The other thread was here

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter the original may have suffered some thread swerve, or following the tailwheel analogy, bounce…

…here is the link on the CAA process for accepting the EASA ARC

…note in what to expect on the process for a survey. If they do decide to survey that means flying out a friendly inspector from Gatwick and showing him hospitality for a couple of days while he carries out the work. Don’t expect much change out of £1,000 for the survey plus T&E, plus rectification work.

The CAA appears to be quite pragmatic on the SID, and I can’t imagine EASA going to the trouble of legislating to change the CAA’s approach.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top