Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Views on DA40

Standard tanks, NG model with reinforced front wheel (MTOW = MLW)

Last Edited by Noe at 16 Nov 14:55

“Basic” = empty weight? 914 kg ?

Couple months ago I borrowed a friend’s PA-28-180 for a family trip. I just checked, it weighs 668 kg empty, fully IFR. We filled the cabin, 40+ kg baggage, fuel for 4 hours and flew to a sand/gravel strip (EKAT). The strip was a little soft when we took off for the return, but definitely no problem for a “lightweight” with 180 HP.

As much as a like the DA-40 (a lot), and as much as I frequently think that I am done flying PA-28’s, there is just still much good to be said for the hard-working classic spam cans.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Hmm. thanks Noe. Now that is the NG, right? Because I also notice while its a lot heavier by over 200 kgs over the standard, MTOW is also up significantly. Payload on this one is 366 kgs. Standard tanks would take 84 kgs away per your graph, so 282 kgs left, which is quite ok. LR tanks (again plus 10 USG?) would take away some 30 kgs more, so 250 kg left for traffic load. Definitly an improvement I’d say.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

huv wrote:

Couple months ago I borrowed a friend’s PA-28-180 for a family trip. I just checked, it weighs 668 kg empty, fully IFR.

Yea, the old PA28-180 is a very good load hauler. And 1080 kg MTOW, right? Of course her 50 USG fuel weigh a tad more, around 150 kgs, but with 412 kg payload, you still get a very respectable 262 kg payload with full tanks. Which is in the same ballpark than the DA40NG.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Hmm. thanks Noe. Now that is the NG, right?

Yes.

I am also considering the DA40. The austro engine with 170 HP should solve most of the performance problems discussed earlier. Has anyone flown the Austro versio?

FXE, LECU

It is a bit heavier than CD135/155, and quite a bit heavier than the Lyco. Wonder what that does to the useful load…

LFPT, LFPN

The DA40 tundra wit Austro I’m considering has a full fuel payload of 631 lbs with the long range tanks (41 usg). For me that’s plenty as my partner, myself, and my daughter are a combined 300 lbs. It’s nice to be small and light sometimes :)

FXE, LECU

Our club is considering adding another aircraft to our fleet. A member survey has produced a – preliminary – preference for a DA 40. What are the views on this illustrious forum about this type? It would be flown in a club environment, so with a rather wide spread of pilot abilities. Location is Southern California, based at KSMO, 3500ft asphalt. Local and medium-range touring. IO360 engined (no diesel). No hangarage available. Thoughts?

PS: edit to add, our club currently has four Cessnas, C172/182/210; idea is to get something more modern.

Last Edited by 172driver at 07 Jan 17:32

With 3 Cessna family members you could expect a hesitation to move to a new (less forgiving) platform.
There is similar reluctance w.r.t. the DA40 in our club, with PA28 and C172 as alternatives

Last Edited by ch.ess at 07 Jan 17:50
EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message