Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA IFR single engine piston aircraft that can be bought new

Snoopy wrote:

Anybody know the actual cost?

I have the current price list, but I’m not sure I can publish it here.

ESMK, Sweden

I don’t know if they have plans to put a 915iS or 916iS in it, like Bristell and Elixir. It would make it more practical for touring, although all of these planes have very limited baggage capacity (both weight and volume)

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Another IFR single-engine piston airplane that can be bought new is the Waco YMF-5: https://www.wacoaircraft.com/ymf-5
That 1920s feeling and radial sound while on an LPV approach in sea fog — that’d be cool.

I had a ride in one in Sedona, Arizona years ago. Lovely aircraft, and I agree, flying in the clouds in an open cockpit must be quite something. Found the EASA type certificate for the YMF-5, and it clearly lists IFR (as well as VFR day and night, of course). Couldn’t find the type certificate for the Great Lakes though. They had one at Aero Expo 2023, so perhaps I just didn’t look hard enough.

Derek

Updated table:

Manufacturer Type(s) Seats FIKI Type Certificate
Aviat A-1 Husky 2 TCDS
Beechcraft Bonanza G36 6 Yes TCDS
Cessna 172 4 TCDS
Cessna 182 4 Retrofittable TCDS
Cessna 206 6 Retrofittable TCDS
Cirrus SR20 4 TCDS
Cirrus SR22,SR22T 4 Yes TCDS
Diamond DA-40 4 TCDS
Diamond DA-50 5 Yes TCDS
Maule M-7,MX-7 5 TCDS
Piper PA-28 4 TCDS
Piper PA-46 (M350) 6 Yes TCDS
Robin DR401 4 TCDS
Tecnam P-Mentor 2 TCDS
Tecnam P2010 4 TCDS
Vulcanair V1 4 TCDS
Waco YMF-5 3 TCDS
Zlin 242L 2 TCDS
Zlin 143 LSi 4 TCDS
Derek

Another IFR single-engine piston airplane that can be bought new is the Waco YMF-5

I discovered this fact at Aero EDNY where some guy sweared it can flew an approach in clouds under freezing levels at night (it has lights and pitot heat)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Zlin (Any built in last few years?)

It looks like they may be making a few

I saw a Vulcanair V1 in the US a few months ago, they must also have built a few.

Waco has gone from being one of the least costly old biplanes you could buy to being chic, current production toys for aviation buffs with cash to spend. IFR fits in with that, especially since the original TC would not be a constraint. IIRC AOPA Pilot had an article on one with modern avionics.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 May 16:32

Silvaire wrote:

It looks like they may be making a few

I’m guessing those went to Sault College in Canada

Derek

Could be. Military sales may also be a factor in keeping them alive, the Peruvian and Mexican air forces have some Zlins.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 May 16:42

I flew a YMF5 a while back. It was kind of odd doing loops and rolls with an open cockpit. I’d certainly avoid anything that goes negative in it, though I think the engine is good for negative G. I don’t have THAT much faith in the seatbelts!

I can’t remember whether it had gyro instruments. Generally aerobatic planes don’t, because (for old-style mechanical gyros at least) it wears them out very quickly.

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message