Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the most affordable plane to buy for time building? And doing an EASA CPL/IR the DIY route, and AOC matters.

I wonder when that was?

In today’s post covid mad panic inflated market (which has started to collapse but there is a long way to go) sellers drive a hard bargain.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If I sort things out with the authority, what Experimental would you recommend?

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

I suspect it would have to be in EASAland. Maybe in Romania.
Jodel?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

I suspect it would have to be in EASAland. Maybe in Romania.
Jodel?

EASA would be great. Romania is pretty limited.
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked briefly at Jodel and most of them are registered as ultralights, are there some that can be flown with PPL?

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

Most Jodels are not microlights. But most for sale may be DR1050 has a MAW of 740 kg. The D140 is much larger.. D150 and D11 and D120 are also SEP..
But old wood and fabric aircraft need a careful prebuy.
(I flew 1000+ hours in a DR1050 built from 2 wrecks, whose broken mainspar had been correctly spliced. We sold it in 2020.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Remember:
Fly your rented plane four hours. Note the engine runs rough. Go home.
Fly your own plane for four hours. Top up fuel. It’s due a 50 hor check, which you are qualified to do. Remove cowls and drain oil. Change oil filter. Replace oil drain plug. Lockwire filter and drain plug. Refill. Do the rest of the specified 50.hour.checks. replace cowl and anything else you removed. Make logbook entry. Do engine run-up and airtest. The engine is still running rough.Remove cowls. Remove and check all 8 sparkplugs. If all clean, seek other cause.
33+ years ownership. Permit is much cheaper, because you can do so much yourself. December 2021 I drove home hypothermic after working. Similar to drunk driving but not detectable. January 2023 I paid firm to do a day work

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@Maoraigh thank you for your advice! Sounds like a lot of fun
Do you have a mechanic certification or something like this? Or is it not needed to do the oil change yourself?

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

The basic service is usually within pilot maintenance privileges.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
78 Posts
Sign in to add your message