Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking to buy a first airplane Cessna FR 182 RG. Would appreciate advice. Also N-reg versus G-reg.

All numbers adjusted to the top end

But like I said, they see you coming. When I was going G to N (2005) I was grounded, in legal limbo, for 8 weeks, due to cockups, including the IA moonlighting and not wishing to be caught, but he never actually said that. I extracted the situation by getting “my own” IA, he brought “his own” DAR, he came along with an FAA inspector to supervise him (!), and it was all done in ~2 days.

As a newcomer to the ownership game, buy something simple and in a good nick. It may cost more but you will get high uptime, and you will wonder (like I do) why most owners you see are grounded most of the time

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

getting FAA papers is not that hard

I don’t know that’s still true now that (as I understand it – read it on EuroGA) you have to go to the US for your checkrides and maybe also the writtens. You can certainly find an FAA CFI(I) in the UK who will get you prepped, but still you will need SOME experience flying on US soil, if only to be sure you can manage the radio with a US accent and done the way it is there. These days checkrides have to be booked quite a bit in advance, and you need a signoff from a CFI also.

You would need to plan on spending imo at least 2 weeks there, and you would want a good intro to the right people to make it all go easily. You should also choose somewhere like Arizona or Nevada where the weather is highly predictable.

LFMD, France

you have to go to the US for your checkrides and maybe also the writtens

True – search for “faa writtens” for example. And “dpe services”. I won’t discuss the 61.75 options because it is right now a sensitive area.

but still you will need SOME experience flying on US soil, if only to be sure you can manage the radio with a US accent and done the way it is there. These days checkrides have to be booked quite a bit in advance, and you need a signoff from a CFI also.

Yes; nobody will sign you off as ready for a checkride unless they have flown the “5 hrs within last 60 days” (or whatever it is) themselves with you.

You would need to plan on spending imo at least 2 weeks there, and you would want a good intro to the right people to make it all go easily. You should also choose somewhere like Arizona or Nevada where the weather is highly predictable.

Yes I reckon so. Maybe 1 week unless doing the IR. I enjoyed my 2 weeks there. Stayed on UK time (got up 3am) and rode a bike to the school, past the crowds of Mexicans looking to be collected for the day’s casual labour, KCHD, 2 flights a day, totally shagged (was 49 then!), but it was fun. Checkride with the legendary-grumpy John Walkup.

In so many ways, “us” old bastards did our paper collection when everything was easier. Like so much else in life

The Brussels-instigated hit on the US licensed community (100% politically motivated, 0% safety angle) has done a lot of damage. Many/most of the most experienced long term pilots (who were mostly N-reg) just chucked it all in.

But it is still doable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

As a newcomer to the ownership game, buy something simple and in a good nick. It may cost more but you will get high uptime, and you will wonder (like I do) why most owners you see are grounded most of the time

I like the sound of that!

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Many/most of the most experienced long term pilots (who were mostly N-reg) just chucked it all in.

I did not appreciate that Peter. I have literally just deregistered my Super Cub from the Spanish register and the EASA regime. Moved it to guess what…

The Spanish authorities were super efficient, and it was complete, including the official letter to FAA, within a matter of days. Then the 6 month delay due COVID, with the FAA tripped in, however it suited me. In the end my trust got it quicker than the FAA had quoted and I have my new registration cert. I await the DAR for the new CofA.

Let the games begin.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 07 Mar 19:43
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I got my FAA license in SUM 2017. One visit I had filed paperwork for temporary license on 61.75 which required visit to the FSDO at Reno, NV. I did my BFR In Carson City with an instructor I had previously arranged.
I then did my FAA IR validation in one day in the US later that summer. I filed all my paperwork in advance, then scheduled my IR TK exam and visit to the FSDO on the same day:
Flew to the US, rented a car, slept at hotel near school. Next morning run the test, passed my exam, went to the FSDO at Allentown PA, showed the paperwork, got my temporary license. Start: 0745AM in Palma de Mallorca, finish: 1200PM next day in Allentown, PA. Stayed there a few more days for business, but could have come back.

A few weeks later got the card license on the mail with my IR.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message