Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking to buy a first airplane Cessna FR 182 RG. Would appreciate advice. Also N-reg versus G-reg.

For many years an IO540-C4 was $60k in the US, from an outfit called Factory Engines.

No idea of the current price.

Also remember that turbo engine pricing tends to include the turbo, because that is normally shagged at TBO time (along with all the cylinders ).

Mounted? That’s a very variable thing.

If I was buying an engine I would buy one overhauled by a top US shop. Not new. If I had to buy new I would still send it to the said shop and have it taken apart and put back together.

I’ve budgeted around £30k per year for it including hangar space and maintenance.

That’s a lot of avgas you are allowing for – or buying a totally shagged old dog For that money, you could almost keep an Aztec sitting still in a museum

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Recent price point on a Cessna 182 Lycoming 540 in the UK is around £50k, includes removing and re installing.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I have a few hundred hours in the 182RG, and love it! That said, I was not paying all of the bills, just some costs. The landing gear system is quite different mechanically than the 177RG (in which I have 100 hours). The 182RG is far superior. That said, there is an AD on the main landing gear pivot blocks. It’s probably complied with, but understand the AD, and check the status of the plane that interests you. Any mechanic who understands the AD can explain it to you. If you get a “Huh?” ask someone else…

Not quite as good into short grass runways, the smaller mainwheels have a little less stopping power on wet grass. I flew in and out of my home runway, 2000’ of grass, and did okay, but couldn’t be casual about it. The owner would not fly it in and out of my runway out of an abundance of caution on his part.

The only turbo’d one I flew had a seized turbo, so it ended up being normally aspirated anyway. I flew the other non turbo models all over Canada and the US, and never felt that I didn’t have enough power, even at 14,000’ in the western US.

A very capable airplane!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Peter wrote:

That’s a lot of avgas you are allowing for – or buying a totally shagged old dog For that money, you could almost keep an Aztec sitting still in a museum

Haha. Well I hope I overestimated, but I am thinking:

• £8k for hangar space
  • £5k for annual
  • £3k for insurance
  • 100 hours * 12 gph * ~£8 = ~£10000
  • Engine fund £10k

I added £10k for engine fund given that I am likely to need to do an overhaul in ~5 years so £50k/5 = £10k. So adding all this up seems to be £36k. I could save myself some money by tying the aircraft down outside but I am worried that if there’s a big storm I might not be able to move the aircraft inside in time.

United Kingdom

@Parthurnax agree hangarage is very important, although your annual rate seems to be in a premium hangar!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL18C
Not many options around where I live (south London). Looking at Biggin, which is quite expensive. Thurrock say they’re full and Southend is even more expensive. And North Weald has got lots of staff issues recently so frequent closures.

Last Edited by Parthurnax at 02 Mar 10:04
United Kingdom

But I guess I can’t be an experienced owner without being an inexperienced one first!

That’s certainty true and if you really don’t have an issue with paying substantially more than necessary while learning the ropes, you can buy anything with wings and see how it goes.

I never rented a plane except for maybe 20 hours in a C152 in the early 2000s. My way to gain an education was to buy a restored $23K certified plane as my first plane, one with no electric system and little complexity. I then did much of the maintenance under supervision, bought the parts myself and so on. In the end I bought something more complex and sold plane #1 for about what I paid, after a period of owning both that allowed me to get plane #2 ‘up to speed’. I’m not suggesting that everybody do the same but it was a very valuable period regardless. Buying a complex plane in a poor state as plane #1 and paying others to quickly rebuild it would be the opposite extreme.

After a while you learn that the secret to owning an aircraft is who you know, and what they can tell or teach you. It’s a very informal network that keeps GA aircraft airworthy at reasonable cost, you gain entry though enthusiasm and diligence, not money. However those outside of the network very often pay through the nose. They sometimes have lots of quite amazing stories in that regard.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Mar 16:41

After a while you learn that they secret to owning an aircraft is who you know, and what they can tell or teach you. It’s a very informal network that keeps GA aircraft airworthy at reasonable cost, you gain entry though enthusiasm and diligence, not money. However those outside of the network very often pay through the nose.

Spot on.

Most people don’t believe that is true for EASA-reg but it jolly well is…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s all very location dependent. Also very time- available dependent. If your job keeps you from the hangar during working hours when the maintenance guys are about, it all changes.
I can rigidly say that while that’s all true and desirable it certainly isn’t achievable for several pilots I know.
I do envy those who can get very involved but it’s not the norm in my experience or some I know.

United Kingdom

and it also is interest dependant… I know of quite a few owners of certified aircraft having absolutely no interest in maintaining anything themselves, being it their bicycle, car, or airplane. Time comes, the vehicle is taken to the facility, picked up later, bill paid.

This is almost the norm around here, and in opposition to non-certified aircraft whose owner usually love to tinker about

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message