Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking to buy a first airplane Cessna FR 182 RG. Would appreciate advice. Also N-reg versus G-reg.

I have several hundred hours in C182s, about 100+ in the RG variant.

Firstly, they are prob99 the best all-round SEPs money can buy, except perhaps the C210. Roomy, almost impossible to overload and sturdy. Fly a bit like a big SUV, solid IFR platform.

The RGs are great touring airplanes, I have flown them all over the western US and they nearly match the performance of a non-turbo C210. In fact, my longest ever non-stop flight was in one at 6 hours.

However, IMHO, for your mission profile the RG is overkill. The gear system isn’t too complicated but needs a competent mechanic (and a knowledgeable owner…) to keep in shape. It’s also not the most robust in the world and seeing that you’re based in the UK with it’s abundance of grass strips of variable quality that may be an issue. The speed advantage over an FG model only comes into play on longer trips. The 1800 hrs are a non-issue, as under FAA Part 91 you run the engine on condition. By all means buy that airplane, you’ll have a lot of fun, but it may just be a tad too much as a first airplane to own. I’m saying that without knowing anything about your background, of course.

Ibra wrote:

I am not sure what is the user case for RG in C182? in US it may work with paved runways everywhere but then insurance is out of reach in “retracts”…as backcountry platform to airways? now idea if C182RG can go anywhere where Arrows can go?

Simple: as opposed to an Arrow, carrying capacity, cabin space and hot and high capabilities. Unfortunately the insurance situation is increasingly difficult for RG (any) here unless you have plenty of hours.

I had a 1980 TR182 for 20 years until I lost it in an accident last year. I still miss it terribly.

I never had a significant gear problem, though maybe I was lucky. I did have a couple of times when I had to manually extend it because of the complexity of the electro-hydraulic system. If you do buy, get your mechanic to show you how the emergency gear extension works while it’s up on jacks.

I also flew an NA non-retractable 182 a long while back. It would easily get up to 13,500’ (FL135) to cross the Sierra Nevada. So unless you want to fly IFR over the Alps I don’t think you NEED a turbo, though it’s always nice – I certainly miss the reassurance of having one.

I had one serious turbo problem, which required an overhaul. Don’t remember what it cost, it got lumped in with an annual. Maybe around $4K.

The price looks low to me, I’ve looked at TR182s and they are going for closer to $200K as someone has said. But may be the NA version is worth a bit less.

I did one engine overhaul and including the cost of removing and reinstalling the engine it came to close to $40K. The actual overhaul was about $25K.

I got some time in recent fixed gear NA 182s a couple of years ago. They are only about 10 knots slower than my TR182, so unless you plan really long trips the speed difference isn’t that big a deal.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

LFMD, France

I know almost nothing about the type but would make a couple of general points

• insurance for RG is not a problem in the UK (get a quote from Visicover)
  • disregard people telling you that you are getting too much performance too soon, etc, etc – I was very grateful that I bought a decent plane (TB20) and as a result was able to enjoy it much more (say a TB10, PA28-180, etc).

However if you really just want to do burger runs within the UK then this is not the type to go for. In particular in the UK there isn’t much turbo expertise; I know of some TB21 owners who had months of downtime. OTOH it appears you want 2 doors (good idea!). This is something to think about; have a read of my decision process, in the TB20 article on that link. Also you will end up doing a lot of grass and a lot of grass is not in good condition. I used to do a fair bit of grass but don’t do it anymore because the plane and the landing gear get really dirty.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Parthurnax wrote:

Hi guys, so I’ve been looking at a C182 Rheims RG. As the name suggests it’s got a retractable gear and is fully deiced with TKS. The engine is at 1800 hours. They want £115k for it.

If a well done pre-purchase inspection clears it, go ahead. The price reflects the fact that the engine is close to TBO, but otherwise is reasonable for a TKS equipped 182 RG.

Most has been said, the 182 is one of the most desirable airplanes around for all the right reasons. Payload, performance, e.t.c.

Yes, due to the RG you need a good maintenance. But that is it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Fly a bit like a big SUV, solid IFR platform.

Agree, in part. There is a pronounced thrust/drag couple which requires a fair amount of trim changes with configuration changes. It also isn’t an ideal attitude based platform on approaches, partly because of the couple, and where other types only require small pitch changes (a degree or less) to maintain a glide-slope, the venerable 182 might require more work, especially if in some turbulence.

It can be flown with precision, but it is happiest straight and level in cruise. Ailerons are ponderous, and requiring good rudder input for overcoming adverse yaw, despite frise/differential design. Elevator is heavy. Did I mention the thrust/drag couple?

The doors are relatively flimsy and the cabin is noisy, so a good ANR headset required.

It is a great compromise and average flying control harmony aside, a great all rounder. The sought after Reims, corrosion proofed, 182Q being close to a blue chip, investment grade airplane.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Does anybody know a good place where I could have it maintained that has experience with retractable gear 182s?

United Kingdom

It can be flown with precision, but it is happiest straight and level in cruise. Ailerons are ponderous, and requiring good rudder input for overcoming adverse yaw, despite frise/differential design. Elevator is heavy. Did I mention the thrust/drag couple?

I would suggest that the OP fly one before buying, if he hasn’t already. Obviously the C182 is a plane that is prized for its utility, not so much its light and intuitive handling characteristics. But its surely proven and proven again to be a safe design. It all depends on what you want and need.

Having said that @Parthurnax I would honestly suggest that you fly as many types as possible, learn who maintains ALL the types and decide who you like, learn about the details of owning and maintaining different engine types, learn about the benefits and issues of N-registration and so on and have that all firmly in hand before you consider buying anything. Obviously you are starting on that now but with the greatest respect, you seem to be approaching buying your first plane like buying a late model used car. You can do it way, sellers will take your money, but I think if you proceed on that basis now you will spend a lot on an education

These are old machines owned and maintained by an informal network of people and suppliers, in a process to which owners devote a lot of time and detailed attention.

Somebody had to say it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Mar 17:09

Silvaire wrote:

These are old machines owned and maintained by an informal network of people and suppliers, in a process to which owners devote a lot of time and detailed attention.

Good points by @Silvaire
It is one thing to rent, e.g. book an object, and go fly. Yes, it can be very frustrating too, for a number of reasons that all airplane owners can identify with. Most of us used to rent…
But owning an aircraft takes dedication. A lot of it. Dedication as in time and xxxxx (fill the currency and amount+ of your choice).

One thing no-one mentioned yet re fixed vs retracts… retracts are super sexy
Until the famous day when you will forget about them

Last Edited by Dan at 01 Mar 17:17
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I’ve budgeted around £30k per year for it including hangar space and maintenance. I realise it may be less than this most years and a big expense in a few years. I also realize that I’m an inexperienced owner so I’ll probably make some mistakes which will cost me time and money. But I guess I can’t be an experienced owner without being an inexperienced one first!

United Kingdom

I am also spending time on a potential buy, and recently leanrt that engine price have skyrocketted since covid time. A new O360 is priced around 70k€ mounted… Don’t know about O540, but obviously higher..

LFMD, France
Sign in to add your message