Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Varnishing (re-painting) our Bonanza

After 32 years the color of our Bonanza startet to chalk out. Therefore we decided to let her varnish this year. So I flew her to Kamenz on the 7th of December and immediately they startet with the work. Today I got the first photos. It looks like a complete different bird now. I‘m really curios how it will develop within the next weeks. Especially because of the new paint sheme we decided to give her.

BTW: Driving 14 hours to Brittany for our Christmas vacation by car let us value the Bonanza more then expected.

EDDS , Germany

well, I would eventually varnished my old Falco, but a Bonanza
Still, looks can be deceiving as such, but the paint seems to come off easily enough.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@eddsPeter thank you, my F33A was re painted in 2000 but for abundance of caution I am repainting wings, belly and tailplane. This is booked for 2023. I am sure I could have got away with touching up some defects/surface corrosion.

I still have magnesium elevators and would be interested to know what technique your shop is using for priming this exotic bit. In theory I can re skin with aluminium, unlike the V-tail, but plan to just invest in getting a quality strip prime and re paint.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

I still have magnesium elevators and would be interested to know what technique your shop is using for priming this exotic bit.

We overhaul Czech piston engines (Walter Minor and LOM M337/137/332), which have magnesium crankcases. Our standard anti-corrosion primer is selenious acid (H2SeO3), whether neat or as a component of gunsmithing cold bluing fluid.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

A long time ago when I worked on commercial airliners (heavy maintenance) the paintshop which was next door had the art of stripping planes down to a fine art – I imagine your workshop uses the same material but you can imagine that with a 767 the application method was a bit different.
I remember that the chemical came in big 40 gallon blue plastic drums – the material itself was a thick white gloopy liquid – to apply it to the airplane a single cylinder pneumatic driven 2 stroke pump was placed in the barrel and then attached to a lance for projecting onto the aircraft.
For those of you with a delicate disposition please try not to imagine the subsequent image while a low rpm pneumatic pump jetted this material all over the plane – for hours on end – the paintshop lads were always first to the bar – we call the paint remover “elephant spu*k”

Last Edited by aidanf123 at 20 Dec 10:15

We can see the progress of the work.

Looking forward to the next step.

EDDS , Germany

I’m looking forward to seeing the result too

It’s fun to see good work being done.

Between the years and in the first week of 2023 our repainting project made big steps forward. The change in appearance we will have with the new paint starts to get visible.

EDDS , Germany

This looks like a very nice job.

However, I am surprised they have not removed the ailerons and flaps.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

However, I am surprised they have not removed the ailerons and flaps.

But they did, look at the second batch of pictures. I understand they want to paint a stripe over them looking at the tape tape, so they installed them again to get the angle right.

Berlin, Germany
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message