Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why buy a Cirrus - get a Jetprop!!

The JP is an amazing plane (I’ve flown in it) and if I had a hangar here where work could be done I would probably have one.

Amazing travelling machine, which gets you above the wx most of the time, and flies 2x faster than the TB20.

Very accurate observation about the cost of a new SR22, but they are bought by a different type of customer: one who wants the smell of a new plane, the corporate hospitality of the Cirrus marketing machine, and – I am sure in most cases – not having to learn anything really new beyond what you might find in a PA28. The parachute is a big factor for many spouses, too.

The downside of the JP, which all pressurised types suffer from, is that the windows make it hard to get decent photos of anything. I would find that aspect hard and would probably replace one or two windows with optical-grade glass ones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Another peculiarity is a strict VNE limitation of 170 kts IAS.

I’ve been always curious to learn whether this is just for certification reasons or it’s really something related to structure (having in mind that Mirage have higher VNE). Can someone explain this in more details?

Buckerfan wrote:

with full fuel the JP can become a single person aircraft depending on how it is kitted out.

And this is also an issue which I’m not sure what to think about. MTOW 1999 kg is something inherited from Mirage but the same fuselage is used by Meridian with MTOW 2300 kg. Or Meridian structure is somewhat hardened?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I’ve been always curious to learn whether this is just for certification reasons or it’s really something related to structure (having in mind that Mirage have higher VNE). Can someone explain this in more details?

I don’t know if it relates to the Mirage/Jetprop difference, but AFAIK, turbine aircraft don’t have a VNO. So if the same airframe has either a piston or a turbine engine, the VNO for the piston variant will be the VNE for the turbine variant.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Jan 10:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The issue is driven by flutter (a big component of Vne) being related to TAS, not IAS, but Vne is marked on the ASI i.e. marked in IAS, so the Vne marking has to assume a certain max altitude (because TAS goes up with altitude for the same IAS).

And because nobody was willing to pay for flutter testing for the Jetprop STC, the simple solution was to reduce the Vne marking on the ASI

I believe @pilot_dar is the expert.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

My argument: I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would buy a new SR22 when for the same money one can have a very good condition used Jetprop “JP”.

The same applies for many other factory new 1 million piston planes like DA62, PA46 Mirage etc. But you have to be a bit more brave to buy a pre owned plane in this price segment. But the same applies to cars. The street is full of 50k brand new cars while you could buy a nice pre owned 100k class car for the same money. Just do not get too cheap and buy a 100k class car for 5-10k ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Fantastic looking plane, and one along with the TBM750 (not many around) I would definitely consider. Like most of the previous posters, I would not spend a million on a new Cirrus, I think the fact you burn JetA is probably the main plus for the JetProp, for me a huge disadvantage is the fact that it is in fact as single person airplane. I am really looking into a B58P, which is pressurised (but with a ceiling of 25K operational) but limited to 230kts cruise TAS. Again, it burns avgas which is likely to become a problem in our lifetime. All of that being said, the JP does look like a very capable plane that must help increase your dispatch rate significantly, which is not something I think you realistically get living in mountains (as we do here) in winter in a Cirrus even Turbo. You need something with a little bit more punch (like a JP or or a Baron 58P) to get a dispatch rate that is pretty reliable, I don’t believe TKS cuts it realistically here in winter…

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 06 Jan 12:47
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Sebastian_G wrote:

But the same applies to cars. The street is full of 50k brand new cars while you could buy a nice pre owned 100k class car for the same money. Just do not get too cheap and buy a 100k class car for 5-10k ;-)

That is pretty much what I did about 20 years ago. Toyota Camry V6, new at the time 70k CHF, bought with 60k km for 9k CHF in 2003 or so. Has now 300k and is still running like on the day I bought it. The only larger repair I ever did came to about 1k CHF about 10 years ago and was scheduled (replacement of synchronous belt at 200k) and some minor exhaust welding repair. It gets regular services and runs on like a champ.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 06 Jan 12:50
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

the JetProp, for me a huge disadvantage is the fact that it is in fact as single person airplane

Well you trade range for payload, don’t you? We all do it. So the question is not: how much payload do you have on full fuel. That’s irrelevant. The question is: how far can you go with 4 POB, or even 6 POB. I would consider an aircraft having more than a pilot’s payload on full fuel in fact bad designed, because it lowers flexibility. There’s no magic behind that.

Congratulations on the JetProp. Give me some 10 or 20 years with my current plane and I might consider an upgrade to one of these myself for my time of retirement. Very temptative.

Germany
Can someone clarify the type rating part? Where I live there is a legend that Jetprop. or even pressurised Malibu are labeled “complex” and require a TR. And the TR requires at least CPL or the equal amount of exams in theory prerequisites. Personally, i think its BS, but then I have never applied for Jetprop TR.
EETU, Estonia

It’s BS.

Jetprop is non complex, requires PPL + HPA and class rating. Valid two years.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message