Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there any market for low-end N-reg planes in Europe?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Microlights are usually 2 seats and massively weight restricted. … The moment you want more seats or transport normally buit people, microlights are not an option.

And this is the very moment where you typically spend more than 20k (the price the OP mentioned) for a plane. Likely:

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Likewise, the Pilot und Flugzeug magazine operates two AA5’s for rent which are N-reg. Until recently, MFGZ had a Columbia which was N-reg.

All of these planes are clearly above the 20k value threshold we are talking about in this thread.

So yes: There clearly is a market for higher value n-reg airplanes in Europe. There is just a very limited low end one.

There’s also individual economics: If for whatever reasons you only spend 20k for your airplane in the first place, why would you consider spending 5% of that for the trust that owns it every single year?

Germany

Perhaps more like 2% or £400-500 on the more popular trustee used in the UK? Which also has higher value aircraft on trust (£150-200k)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

All of these planes are clearly above the 20k value threshold we are talking about in this thread.

They are now. Two years or so ago there were plenty of AA5, PA28-140 and similar around for this kind of price. Both N-reg and EASA reg.

Right now, that market is totally gone, apart from a couple of Rallyes which have not been able to pick up price as all the others currently do.

If I am not totally misunderstanding this thread, the question was if there was a demand for low priced N-Reg planes vs EASA reg in the same price range. My answer to that is, as the threshold for entering ownership these days has massively been lifted from the said 20k to about 40-50k for a standard 4 seat airplane, the fact that a plane is N-reg should not be the ultimate stumbling block. Either it can be transferred to local register or it can be flown N-reg by anyone inside a country or with a validation pretty much without restriction.

If there are two similar planes with similar price, as it has been said here, chances are the EASA reg one will sell faster. But the N-reg one will not necessarily be far behind.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’m not sure the FAA license requirement is such a large factor. Sure, getting one today now means a trip to the US, but that can easily be combined with a vacation.

The number of European pilots with FAA licenses (used or not) may well be quite large. Not sure how big a role N-reg vs EASA plays for pilots already holding an FAA license. I am occasionally approached by pilots with an FAA license looking for an N-reg to “charter” or buy into. For someone who has never owned an aircraft, the biggest hurdle is likely just making the jump from rental to ownership, whether the aircraft is low-end or not. My suspicion is that the wealthier the individual, the lower the hurdle, for reasons only indirectly related to wealth.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

I’m not sure the FAA license requirement is such a large factor. Sure, getting one today now means a trip to the US, but that can easily be combined with a vacation.

That is if the vacation is in the US – I’ve never been there, for example.

EGTR

chflyer wrote:

Anytime I went to get an FAA IR in US while on vacation in past years, I gave up and decided to just rent an aircraft for few weeks and go on personal tour, at the end, I gave up and got the EASA IR near my place on weekends as it was more convenient

I am looking to upgrade my FAA 61.75 to standalone FAA CPL + FAA IR, this need some theory tests in USA (and maybe another fresh TSA clearance depending who you ask), nothing fancy or difficult but I need to resist the temptation to mix it with vacation/work again

Word of advice: don’t mix it with work trips or family vacations

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Oct 10:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am looking to upgrade my FAA 61.75 to standalone FAA CPL + FAA IR

You will then need to run an FAA medical too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You will then need to run an FAA medical too

Yes, the AME I have now does EASA C2 & FAA C1 combined (270Euros for the bundle, hopefully I will pass again )

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Oct 10:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message