Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best EASA Country for PA-18 Super Cub Registration?

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a Swedish registered PA-18. The maintenance shop that has been handling it has advised that upcoming Swedish regulation changes will make “maintenance for this aircraft harder and particularly for those operating it abroad” and suggested moving it to a different European register. The plane will spend its time between Switzerland, Spain, and Scandinavia (for summers). Spain is a “bit” of a joke with paperwork (won’t see it for years) and Switzerland in this situation would require the aircraft spend the majority of the year here, which it will not. I am leaning toward Germany, but this is a total guess.

I really would prefer the N register, but getting a DAR to even call back or reply to an email has proven to be a futile exercise, so I am planning for the long haul on a European register. If anyone knows the easiest country to register a PA-18 (with operation in mind as well), that would be great.

Thanks!

Why not keep it on swedish register?

hypoxiacub wrote:

maintenance for this aircraft harder and particularly for those operating it abroad

Is it an Annex 2 plane?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t know that operating abroad would do any difference to the maintenance regime, but it is true that the Swedish CAA has proposed rule changes that will considerably complicate maintenance of normal category Annex I aircraft such as the PA-18 and make it more expensive. E.g. the proposed rules will require EASA-approved shops and CAMOs to get additional approval for these aircraft. The Royal Swedish Aeroclub has made a comment that tears the proposed new rules completely to pieces.

We’ll see what effect that has. There is some hope as a similarly stupid proposed rule change about IFR ops what withdrawn by the CAA even before the end of the comment period.

The last few years we’ve seen a worrying tendency in Sweden that the CAA has become less cooperative and more inclined to needlessly complicated and/or restrictive rulemaking. E.g. Sweden did adopt the new 600 kg MTOM limit for ultralights, but have made such aircraft into a new category, distinct from both the original 450 kg MTOM ultralights and normal category aircraft,

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 09 Sep 10:23
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

hypoxiacub wrote:

I really would prefer the N register, but getting a DAR to even call back or reply to an email has proven to be a futile exercise

I have used a good DAR in the last 2 years, I am sure he would work with you.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

According to wikipedia, a PA-18 is a certified aircraft so N-reg is not a problem except Norway, Denmark and Sweden.

You would need both US papers and EASA papers (license and medical) due to the EASA anti-N-reg policy.

As much discussed in other threads (search for “n-reg”, with the double quotes) how good being on N is, depends on your “ground setup” i.e. do you know an A&P/IA, do you have a hangar where work is permitted, etc. I am N-reg and would definitely stay, but then I do have such a setup. Well, except for the hangar where work is allowed; I have to fly somewhere for that, or do it outdoors.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So I keep mine on the Spanish register. I have Barcelona based CAMO/MECH/Examiner. I looked into a change to FAA-N having done it with the Bonanza but felt it was all a bit much. It should be Annex 11, and there was some talk a few years ago about a Historic aircraft set up in Spain, but I never heard anymore about it. You are correct about the Spanish issue of paperwork. Get a good notary if dealing in Spain is always my take.

If I were you I would be tempted to leave as is, Swedish register..until it gets impossible.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 09 Sep 16:45
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BTW Annex II (Annex 2) is now Annex 1, under EASA.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

BTW Annex II (Annex 2) is now Annex 1, under EASA.

I appreciate there is probably a 300 page thread on it, but other than the type being operated under National rules, I assume Sweden is the same???, what does it actually mean in practice. I get lost in all this stuff.

EGPF Glasgow

There is no substitute for acquiring knowledge, when you need knowledge

In recent years, parts of Europe have been implementing restrictions on long term parking of uncertified aircraft – example.

So if you have an Annex 1 type, you generally need to register it where it will be based. You still need permits to fly it around Europe, though there are various concessions. In a minute there will be posts that this is not true (meaning it is not true in Country X) but it is pretty well true for someone who wants to fly around like the OP is well known to do.

What does it mean in practice? Well, the flight is illegal.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There is no substitute for acquiring knowledge, when you need knowledge

I agree, however, trawling around European states in a Piper Super Cub is not my idea of fun. Been there, done that.
It comes down to horses for courses. If I were looking to purchase an aeroplane that made my flights from country to country illegal, then with my newly gained knowledge, I probably would not do it.

Peter wrote:

Well, the flight is illegal.

I wonder how many ’’illegal’’ flights take place every day of the week. Now I have had my Cub fly through Spain, France (RAMP CHECK FULL PAPERWORK 2019), my one and only, and Belgium. And course UK, pre and post Brexit. I have never had one issue with my flights. I was not being nieve above, I genuinely wonder where the problem lies. You and I face it all the time on our N reg machines, (BORDER LINE ILLEGAL BLAH BLAH) but have you ever had an issue with any of these ’’rules’’.

Maybe some have. I thought N reg was to be my nirvana, but all I tended to get was hastle from UK EASA maintenance shops about their distaste of the FAA system.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 09 Sep 18:56
EGPF Glasgow
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message